𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟏𝟗 { Game Night }

Start from the beginning

"We answered the questions, sort of." My brows furrowed at the memory of Zach barely letting me in. The answers to the questions were vague and gave me nothing to report on, which was initially the task Mrs. Rayes had given.

"Sort of?"

"I got tired and we both fell asleep," I shrug and her eyes go wide clearly not expecting me to say that.

"I didn't think it was true. So you actually woke up underneath Zachs hoodie.

I nod confused when she continues, "The guys were giving him shit about smelling like perfume all afternoon once we got off the bus."

"That was nothing. I was cold and he was just being nice," I replied soon after. The words sound weird coming off my tongue but I don't take any action to recant them.

Izzy gives me a look, confirming she didn't believe a word that left my mouth. "The dude barely socializes with his own teammates. Trust me he's far from nice."

"Yeah bu-"

"We'll talk about this later, the game is starting," she interrupts me and begins motioning her hands in the air, cheering in sign language. I grab my pen and notepad that I had set aside and open it to the first page.

The first words I write is Zachariah Stone. Wide receiver.

Isabella does the same for AJ as her excited expression turns serious, obviously turning into her reporter mode.

It's only when I look around and notice the bleachers are now completely filled. Overflowing with students, alumni, parents and fans decked out in school spirit gear.

The scent of fresh popcorn filled the air and day-old hotdogs rested in the hands of everyone around me, including Izzy. She politely offers me one but I decline not feeling up for the greasy snacks.

I haven't ate anything all day. They were working.

The cheer team makes their way to the sidelines, flipping and their swinging pom poms in the air as the clock strikes seven.

"Now introducing the Alabama Crimsons!" the announcer shouted, making everyone immediately stand to their feet. The stadium erupted into a fit of cheers and whistles that people wearing school spirit shirts and holding up signs block my vision entirely.

"Jesus christ, they're hot," Izzy mutters beside me. I could barely hear her between all the noise but what she said held some truth to it.

"Remember they're the enemy." I appreciatively eye the other team before muttering, "even if you're right."

As I waited I did some digging on our opponents and they were good. Maybe more than good. Their quarterback was number six in the country and already getting NFL offers but he refused, insisting on finishing college first.

Smart of him

The Crimsons had made it this close to the championship, losing by one point in the final four. So I'm not surprised by the determined looks on their faces. This was going to be a tough one but our guys were equally as determined, if not more and I had a feeling they would be able to pull it off.

"And introducing our guest team— all the way from New York, the Syracuse Oranges!" The cheers are ear piercing causing me to bring both hands to the side of my head, but nowhere loud like the ones that came before.