𝐞𝐬𝐭.𝟎𝟏𝟕 { Run ins }

Start from the beginning

"I am so sorry. We have english together. I am the worst with names." Which I really was. I've met more than my fair share of people modeling and keeping up with names was tough.

"It's totally fine. It's Izzy, short for Isabella. I'm a sophomore and this will be my second year with the newspaper club." I couldn't help but notice her extravagant choice of wardrobe. Gummy bear earrings and tie-dye shirt wasn't a regular finding on campus. It suited her and I liked it.

"Well it must be a great club since you're back." I add while she takes a seat at the desk next to me.

"Of course it is girl. I love it here and the experience was great. Last year we got to work with the basketball team one on one which really helped the guys feel more confident on the court."

"Do you think we'll get the opportunity to do that again. I would love to actually learn the different aspects that go into journalism." While I was confident in my writing skills I needed to get the verbal part down pat soon or it would be noticeable this wasn't exactly my forte.

"I hope so. It was really fun traveling with them an all despite the cheerleading team bitching about overcrowding their bus." Her mouth turned into a frown at the mention of the memory

"Oh please don't tell me we have to deal with that this year." Isabella just shrugs as she pulls out her pack of multicolored pens before picking out the red one to write with.

A few moments later more students begin to pile up in the room and I see a few familiar faces of people I've had classes with. It was obvious this club was meant to be small but it seems the attention they've received increased the numbers this year.

The soft chatter dies down as Mrs. Rayes begins to speak. "As you all know this year the Newspaper Club was heavily funded by the school for our achievements last year. We played a big role in school advertisement and admissions applicants doubled this semester. Together I believe we can accomplish this again and much more."

Ms. Rayes went on about the requirements and rules to be enrolled in the club even discussing endless opportunities we would have if we stayed the full four years. She even discussed her early years as a journalist for an NHL team where she met her current husband.

"This year I am pleased to announce we will be working one on one with the Syracuse's Football Team. This will be a different more exciting atmosphere than last year but like always make sure to put your best foot forward."

Everyone nods in approval at the news and in that moment only one person clouds my mind. I knew Zach was a star player on the team but despite that he wasn't captain and I was curious as to why.

When we finally finish discussing the scheduling and assignments, Mrs. Rayes says we are free to go.

"Sage, a word please." She shuffled around her desk, organizing papers and looking around for something while everyone began exiting the classroom.

Isabella gives me a confused look before saying goodbye in sign language. Today I found out she was partially deaf and one of the main reasons for pursuing this field is to increase deaf representation in journalism. I was inspired by her story to say the least.

I sign back to her the action she taught then bring my attention back to Mrs.Rayes. Her expression remained vague and I was starting to worry.

"So it's been brought to my attention you are a model. A very good one at that."

"Yes, you could say that." I was confused. What did any of this have to do with this club or her.

"Now I'm not a big fan of rumors and such but I can not have any public problems involved with the club when we go to publish our work. I know this is not what you might want to hear but please try to keep this separate from your personal issues. Our programs name can't afford to be tarnished under any circumstances."