𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟏𝟔 { Father Dearest }

Start from the beginning

"Victoria."

"Zach" she replied almost instantly. I give her a tight lipped smile before walking to the campus lot where my bike was parked.

The sun was beaming and the second thoughts of wearing this leather jacket began to sunk in. I took it off leaving me just in my plain white tee as a group of girls walked by staring shamelessly.

"Hey Zachariah." The girl next to her looked at her like she was crazy simply because everyone knew not to call me by my full name.

"It's Zach to you" I say looking behind her. She rolls her eyes before stalking off with her friends but that doesn't concern me in the slightest.

Several feet behind them was Sage engrossed in a conversation with Chase, Syracuse's notorious player and walking STD. He seemed to be telling her a joke which revealed her dimpled smile I had a weakness for. On her a solid color sundress that paired well with her curly afro.

After admiring for a little too long only one question came to mind. What the hell is she doing with that dick. Her laugh seems to die down when her neck turns to the side and she notices me watching the both of them. On cue her body goes frigid under my gaze, which left me satisfied to say the least.

Chase makes sure to acknowledge me with a knowing smirk and my jaw ticks in annoyance. I didn't have time for this shit.

I get on my bike revving the engine a little louder than needed, right before sending Miles a text to keep an eye out for her. I knew he would question me why later but that was the least of my concerns.

I finally reach Arabella's and park near the two large trees occupying the sidewalk where I could be under the shade. I watch as couples of all ages walk in and out of the restaurant, hand in hand, with smiles on their faces. I almost envied them.

Almost

Glancing at my watch I notice he's already ten minutes late. "Fuck this. I'm outta here" I say while starting up my motorcycle. If he didn't value my time I sure as hell wasn't going to value his.

"Leaving so soon Zach" a gruff voice spoke. I glanced behind me to find my father standing tall. Dressed in an expensive looking suit he looked like hell. The man was aging and it was obvious by the gray hairs on his head and beard. The bags under his wrinkled eyes also played a key role in my observance.

"It's about time."

"I was meeting with my third client of the day and things ran late. How are you?"

I laugh at his attempt at trying to father me. A fucking poor attempt it was. Yes he was my father, kept a roof over my head for eighteen years and paid my tuition in full but he was hardly a dad.

I deserved to have a dad

I don't recall a single night where he was present for dinner or didn't stay cooped up in his home office on Christmas. I rarely saw him at my football games unless it was a championship one and he was there to seem like a supportive father.

He was there physically but absent emotionally and I hated him for that. It killed me to hate the only parent I had left.

"I'm not here for small talk."