Epilogue

Dream stood near the front of the room, fingers drumming nervously against his thighs as he took a few slow breaths. His eyes drifted around the room, watching as people milled around; some lost in quiet conversations, others seated in folding chairs that were spread around the small room.

He took another slow breath, his fingers stilling as his eyes finally locked onto someone familiar, a warm smile melting across his face. He lifted a hand to wave, mouthing a hello, his heart warming as he watched George wave back, a bright smile plastered onto his face, his brown eyes sparkling under the fluorescent lighting.

Still smiling, Dream's eyes drifted over to the row of people sitting beside George, a row that contained none other than his very best friends; Niki, Karl, Sapnap, and Quackity. The group smiled back, waving and giving him thumbs up, and he felt a surge of confidence, knowing that he finally had a group of friends supporting him.

With a content sigh, Dream let his eyes wander back to the small podium that he was standing near, tuning in as the woman behind it spoke his name, motioning for him to come forward with a smile on her face. He smiled back, moving closer and extending a hand as she quietly congratulated him, dropping a small coin into his open palm.

He thanked her, his eyes dropping as he flipped the coin over in his hand, his thumb tracing over the raised lettering, the words in the center reading, "1 year of recovery".

He smiled, feeling a sense of pride well up inside of him at how far he had come. He had never dreamed that he would make it as far as he had, and it definitely hadn't been an easy road, but he was happy to be standing there, already one year into his recovery.

He walked away from the podium slowly, his eyes still glued to the coin in his hand, the trace of a smile still on his face.

He was pulled from his trance by a pair of hands, moving to pull him into a hug, a familiar voice quietly saying, "I'm so proud of you, Dream, so incredibly proud of you."

"Thanks, George. I couldn't have done it without you," Dream answered quietly, his arms tightening around the small brunette before him.

George pulled back, his hands resting on Dream's chest, and Dream noticed the tears that had built in the corners of the brunette's eyes, the slight tremor of his voice as he said, "I barely did anything, this was all you. You're stronger than you realize, Dream. I always knew you could do it."

Dream smiled at this, feelings of love and appreciation warming him as he leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to George's lips, pulling back just enough to quietly mutter, "I love you, George."

It was George's turn to smile, face flushing pink as he answered, "I love you, too."

But their peaceful bubble was broken quickly, their attention pulled elsewhere as their friends closed in on them, Sapnap's hand clapping down on Dream's shoulder as he pulled him into a hug of his own.

"Save some for the rest of us, George," Sapnap joked, pulling away from the hug with a smile as he continued, "I'm so proud of you, dude. One year is huge."

Dream smiled, thanking Sapnap and accepting hugs and congratulations from the rest of his friends, feeling the wave of warmth that only came from being surrounded by such an amazing group of people.

~

George smiled as he watched the scene unfold before him; his friends pulling Dream into hug after hug, heartfelt congratulatory words falling from their mouths. It warmed his whole body, filling him with something that he could only ever describe as a sense of overwhelming happiness.

"Let's go out for food, we need to celebrate!" Niki called out, bouncing excitedly on her feet as Dream laughed, nodding in agreement.

George laughed quietly, his eyes lifting to meet Dream's, who fell to the back of the group as they trailed out of the room, his hand reaching out instinctively in search of George's.

With a smile, George laced their fingers together, his stomach erupting with butterflies from the contact alone. Even after a whole year of being together, George still felt like the luckiest person in the world, to be able to call Dream his. He woke up every morning to see Dream sleeping peacefully beside him, spent most of his days with the blonde nearby. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

The two still lived in their tiny apartment near campus, their first official home together. The only difference was that the place was more decorated now, filled with things they had collected over the span of the year to make it feel more welcoming, more like them. And there was also the addition of a cat, which they had adopted just a few months ago, settling on the name Patches.

All things considered, George's life was pretty perfect, and very far from what he ever imagined his life could be.

Dream gave his hand a gentle squeeze, eyes flickering over to meet George's with a smile, his voice soft and warm as he asked, "what are you thinking about?"

George smiled back, bumping his shoulder gently against Dream's as he answered, "just about how lucky I am. Who would've thought that my annoying roommate would end up being my soulmate."

*THE END! Hope you guys liked it 🥺

I have decided to post the soccer story (but please keep in mind that I am not a soccer expert, just interested in writing an enemies to lovers type story), the first chapter is up now! And there's three chapters of another new story up as well! Please feel free to check them out. 💞