26

"I wanna help you Dream, I really do. But I can't do it unless you let me."

The words hung between them as George fell silent, his brown eyes locked on Dream. The blonde looked uncomfortable, shifting his weight to his other foot as he ran a hand through his hair, his fingers on his free hand drumming nervously against his thigh.

After a moment of complete silence, Dream sighed, his eyes lifting to meet George's as he quietly started, "George, I don't need help. I told you, I'm-"

George cut him off before he could finish, letting out a frustrated breath as he said, "Dream, please. When are you going to stop lying to me? You're not fine."

George knew more than anything that he wanted to help Dream, especially after his conversation with Niki. He knew how scared the blonde probably felt, how alone and isolated he must be. He never wanted Dream to feel that way, and he definitely didn't want to be part of the reason for those feelings.

He had already resolved to call Dream the following day, not expecting to have run into him at a party of all places. He knew the minute he saw him that Dream must have taken something, his eyes were unfocused, his movements too relaxed.

But George wasn't going to let that stop him; not when Dream was here, standing right in front of him for the first time in weeks.

So George kept his eyes locked on the blonde, trying to keep his emotions in check as Dream inhaled slowly, nodding his head as he quietly answered, "okay, I'm sorry. Does this mean...are you going to come home, George?"

George couldn't help but smile, his heart warming at Dream's gentle tone of voice.

But in the back of his mind, there was a persistent voice that kept telling him that none of it was real, that Dream only wanted him because he was using, because he didn't want to be alone.

But George chose to ignore it for know, even though he knew that he would probably end up hurt later on. For now, it felt nice to be wanted by the blonde, even if it was only temporary.

"Yes, I'll come home," George answered with a small smile, and Dream smiled back, sighing in relief as he responded, "good."

George pushed back the overwhelming feeling of sadness that still lingered in the back of his mind, trying to focus only on Dream, who was moving closer towards him again. George pushed away from the wall, meeting Dream in the middle of the room, his arms instantly wrapping around the blonde's torso, his head resting against his chest as he sighed quietly.

Dream's arms looped around his shoulders, holding George against him as he quietly muttered, "I'm gonna be okay, I promise. I can be better...I'll be better."

George could feel tears forming in his eyes, but he squeezed them shut, silently willing them away as he answered, "I know, Dream."

He pulled back, tilting his head up to look at Dream with a sad smile. The blonde leaned down, placing a soft kiss against George's forehead, an equally sad smile on his face as he pulled away.

"Can we go home?" George asked him, his arms still wrapped tightly around him.

Dream exhaled a quiet laugh, humming in response as he ran a hand through George's hair and answered, "of course. Let's go home."

~

George walked into the dorm room with a smile. He had missed it more than he realized, missed having a space that was his own, a safe space for just Dream and himself. And even if things had to change from here on out, it still felt so good to be back.

He heard Dream walk up behind him, the bedroom door clicking shut. The blonde stood behind him, his arms wrapping around George's waist, his chin resting gently on the top of George's head as he said, "I'm happy you're back, George."