Nicole pulled the bag of dust from her pocket, knowing she had only two pinches of it before having to hand it over, not wanting to short-change a wizard. "It's the only way," she said, extracting a little, inhaling, Jeremy grabbing her arm.

Entering the cathedral, the light, the scale, the majestic atmosphere lifted Nicole off the ground, Jeremy tethering her by the waist, hauling her into a pew at the back. "Sad thoughts, sad thoughts," she repeated until her body came back down to earth. Her eyes scoured the area, tourists and worshipers mingling, no one she could identify as being magical. She was about to give up when she spied an elderly man slowly making his way along a side aisle, a bucket and mop in his hands.

"Old janitor guy to our left," Nicole said, motioning with her head she had her person, scared to leave the pew in case she ended up pinned to the ceiling of the cathedral. Jeremy took command, instructing Nicole to hook her feet under the seat in front and hold on for dear life. She watched as the pair made their way back to her, the man bowing to her as he approached. "Troy."

Nicole bowed in response, accepting it wasn't only her distinctive hair making her stand out. "Dust," she informed, her arms hooked over the back of the pew for stability.

The elderly man chuckled. "Ah, those were the days. Guessing Rex sent you. My grandson. Good boy. Studying to be a doctor."

Nicole nodded. "We need a way in. My friend is under a spell. We need the forever flower and essence from her folk."

"A way in. Do you have the necessary paperwork?"

"What?" Nicole replied. "No, do we need it?"

"If you are to use this entrance, then yes."

"Okay, where do we get the paperwork?" Nicole asked.

"And five thousand dollars."

"Fine. That part is easy enough."

"Did I say five, I meant fifty thousand," the janitor corrected.

"Fifty!" Nicole exclaimed, several visitors looking over. "Fifty," she whispered. "I don't have fifty."

"Well then, it's a good job this entrance is free," the janitor replied, his chuckle now irritating her along with his weird sense of humour. "I may have been pulling your leg."

Nicole stared at the old guy, debating whether to hug him, or punch him in the face. "Guessing we don't need paperwork either."

The janitor shook his head. "Follow me. Try not to float off."

Entering the catacombs underneath the basilica, they followed Rex's grandpa to one of the private burial vaults, the symbol of a swan above the door, Nicole nudging Jeremy who had already seen it. "Err, is this entrance safe?" Nicole asked, worried this might be another trap set by the wizard.

"Safe enough," the janitor replied. "The Swan family are old. One went rogue, very bad seed, banished from this world. Good riddance I say."

"Only he's the one we're fighting," Nicole added.

The janitor studied her for a moment. "You will need this," he said, pulling a frayed piece of string from his pocket, a lump of black stone dangling on the end.

"What is it?" Nicole asked.

"An amulet. A protection against bad seeds. Not much use to me now."

"Thank you," she replied, slipping it over her head.

"Best keep it out of sight," the janitor instructed. "Many a folk would pay a handsome price for such an item."

"Sir, how do we get to the hidden world?" Jeremy interrupted, eager to be on their way, knowing the clock was ticking down. "And, how do we get out?"