"It's just stress and too much thinking." She turned to smile at her brother. "Once we vacate, I'll be fine. You know school is always hectic."

Timi smiled and shook his head out of amusement.

"What?" Tari asked.

"You're complaining about school being hectic?" he asked. "When was the last time you even opened a book?"

"Well...yesterday. On Friday...Thursday?" Tari tried to remember. "All I know is that I read something this week." She shrugged.

Timi chuckled and adjusted his glasses again. Tari didn't know how she felt about that habit of his. "Are you even ready for the debate? Because me and Amira will murder you guys."

"Yeah, whatever." Tari rolled her eyes before picking up her cup and finishing the water.

"I wanted to ask you something," Timi said and when Tari turned to him, he went ahead and asked, "what's going on with you and Ahmed?"

Tari managed to scoff even though she was very sure her heart had sunk into her stomach. "What do you mean? What should be going on between us? We're just project partners."

Even Tari knew for a fact that they were more than that. At that point, she had almost decided that Ahmed could pass as a friend.

"Just project partners?" Timi looked skeptical.

Tari chuckled. "What? We're not like you and Amira who have taken things to the next level."

"Next level? We're just...friends," Timi replied, looking away.

"Yeah, just friends for now until she starts coming to see you instead of me who's supposed to be her best friend." Tari raised her eyebrows.

"We're just friends...and study partners, that's all."

"But you like her."

"What?"

"Last I checked you had problem with your eyes and not your ears," Tari deadpanned.

"I like her as-"

"...as a friend, I know," Tari chorused. "Timi you know we came out from the same belly on the same day, right? And I came out before you and Tamara,"

Timi looked very confused as to the direction of the conversation but he replied, "yes..."

"So I know you more than anybody else and I'm not buying that 'I like her as a friend' bullshit," Tari went on, "you like her and she likes you too."

"She...does?"

"Duh, are you blind? I thought you had four eyes?"

Timi looked like he was deep in thought before Tamara came strolling into the dining area and headed for the dispenser by the corner just like Tari had done. Her nightgown looked bogus but it still clung to her body like a second skin.

Tari knew it was only a matter of time now before their parents came down as well.

As she watched Tamara gulp down a cup of water, something dawned on Tari. She whipped her head to turn to Timi who was still sitting next to her but this time, he was gathering his books.

"Is it because she's a muslim?" Tari whispered. The last thing she would want was for Tamara to get wind of what they were talking about.

"Huh?" The look of confusion and surprise flashed through Timi's eyes for awhile before he regained his composure. "What are you talking about? I don't see anything wrong with Muslims."