Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

I moan into his mouth and I want him to kiss me until I faint but he pulls away too soon.

"So fucking sweet."

<3 <3 <3 <3

"Why are we always sneaking into places when I'm with you?" I laugh as I tighten my hold on Xavier's hand, following him.

He looks over his shoulder with a smug grin as he unlatches the lock.

"Because for some reason, you make me want to find trouble, so I can see," the white shutters roll up and my eyes widen in fascination, "That in your eyes."

His words are sweet and I understand what he's saying. Whenever we've been together, he's made me feel nothing but pure fascination and excitement and happiness.

"We're going to get caught." I laugh.

Xavier grins, his dimples popping.

"Viini's dad owns this racetrack, so we're good."

We both climb back into his car and Xavier drives off and onto the racetrack.

Lake Bellevue's racetrack. It hosts auto races every weekend. My dad and Elijah used to love coming here. At the thought of my dad, my heart clenches.

My eyes wander around the ginormous stadium. The pitch-black sky is lit up by the millions of lights around the racetrack. When Xavier stops at the checkered line, I grin at him.

"Let's see how fast you can race, Xavier Knight." I tease.

His eyes darken with challenge and the tug on his lips is my warning that I've just provoked a sleeping wolf.

"If I finish this track in thirty-seconds," Xavier curls his fingers around his wheel, glancing at me with mischief and wicked promises, "I'm fucking you under the stars."

With that wonderful promise, Xavier shifts the gear into second, slams the gas and we're bolting down the racetrack. I gasp in pure excitement as the adrenaline of being in this car and him driving it like crazy hits me all at once.

Xavier changes through the gears and races around the racetrack and it's kind of hot seeing how good he handles his car. There's something sensual about it. The way he grabs the wheel, the way his veins pop when he's changing gears. It's pure dominance that has my womanly parts dancing in a meadow.

When we dash past the checkered line, my eyes snap to the clock and when I see that he finished the track in freaking twenty-six seconds, I gawk at him. Confused, amazed, impressed, and proud.

"How did you—when did—you can—huh?"

Xavier laughs, slowing down his car and stopping on the checkered line.

"I want to race professionally." Xavier confesses.

"That's so good, Xavier," I smile at him, genuinely happy that he's talking to me about it and that he races because it's his passion, "What made you want to race?"

Xavier rests his head back on the headrest and lowers his eyes on me, a gentle, calm expression on his pretty face.

"It's not that deep, to be honest," he lets out a light laugh, almost seeming nervous, "It's actually pretty childish but I think it's cool. I mean I love cars, especially rare ones and I love fixing them. And I guess the adrenaline is addictive too. When I race, I feel free. Like I'm lost in a world that I control. If that makes sense."

"It does."

No amount of happiness can describe how happy I feel that he's shared that with me. And I knew—I knew—that he doesn't race just for fun.

"So you don't race only because it's fun." I playfully smile, teasing him with my eyes.

Xavier looks away, trying to hide his smile. When he looks back at me, there's a regretful look in his eyes.

"Sorry I lied to you."

My heart floods with adoration for this boy.

"Don't be," I intertwine our fingers, resting them on my lap, "I understand how hard it is to talk about stuff that means a lot to you because you don't know how the other person is going to react, it's a form of protecting yourself from negativity. I used to do it until my girls happened. Now I share everything with them. It's a comfortable feeling knowing you have that one person you can share everything with. It's like a deeper, special connection that no one else can compare to."

Those dark nights I spent alone crying, and blaming myself—I shared with my best friends and my brother. They didn't judge me, they supported me, they showed me love, and gave me a newfound reason to enjoy my life.

Xavier's eyes darken with yearning. With one tug, he hauls me into his lap with my thighs around me. He stares up at me, a mixture of emotions swimming through his beautiful eyes as one arm circles around my waist, possessively.

"Yeah, she's definitely special," he whispers, almost like to himself but I'm not dumb to not know who he's talking about, Xavier caresses my cheek, his eyes locked to mine, "I'm comfortable with you. I want to share everything with you. I don't care what it is—my favorite fucking color or what shape of animal the fucking clouds are—I don't care because what matters is that I'm sharing all that with you. You make me feel so fucking comfortable, Lia."

Tears blur my eyes.

I'm such a baby.

But his words grab at something inside me, something permanent. To have someone say that to you, especially someone you're obsessed with, is a feeling indescribable. I adore that I'm his comfort because, in the same way, he's my comfort too.

Xavier cradles my cheeks and kisses me. It's a soft, tender kiss that doesn't need bruising lust to fuel its passion. When we break the kiss, he grins at me.

"Your turn."

At his words, adrenaline kicks into me. I don't know what it is about him but he makes me want to be adventurous. Maybe because I know that he would never let anything hurt me.

Once he's in the passenger seat and I'm behind the wheel, I glance at him.

"Xavier."

"Yeah?"

"What's your favorite color?"

Xavier is amused.

"Black, Lia."

I smile to myself.

"Lia."

"Yeah?"

"What's yours?"

"Pink, Xavier."