An Almost Covert Egress

Start from the beginning

"Yes ma'am, but I don't think he would have made it very far by now. I can send a pursuit unit to-"

"No, don't bother. If you couldn't handle him with homefield advantage and the element of surprise on your side, your not going to take him when he's out in the woods and expecting you."

"So what do we do?"

"I have another team on standby and we know where he's headed. Based on the route he's taking it looks like he's aiming for the railway. I'll have them deal with him."

You sped through the forest that surrounded the city. You hoped that your memory was accurate, you'd only had a moment to look at the map. You were covering ground at an incredible rate. You bounded over fallen logs and slid down embankments as you traversed the forest. You'd been on the move for nearly fifteen minutes. You were beginning to think that you were lost when you finally came across what you were looking for, train tracks. The rails seemed to glow under the moonlight. You checked your display for the time. It was nearly midnight, you had no way of knowing what the schedule was. But you hoped you'd see one within the hour.

As you waited patiently for the train, you wondered if you should put the sit into low power mode. Your thoughts were shattered however as the sound of rustling bushes caught you attention. You weren't even able to turn around in time as an invisible force clashed against your armor and knocked you to the ground. You pushed yourself up to your hands and knees as you shook the dizziness out of your head.

"Do you have any idea how much tracking we had to do to catch up with you?!"

You froze as the angry question hung in the air, "I know that voice!" You pushed yourself back onto your feet and turned to find to cheetah's wearing tactical gear a few yards from you. "Felicia?!" You exclaimed, "What are you doing wearing police gear?"

"Following orders to reign you in before you do something stupid!" She snapped.

You shook your head, "But you're not a cop! You're a doctor!"

"Which is exactly what you're going to need when I'm done with you!" She snarled.

"We were recently cleared for active duty with the taskforce that Luna runs," Kara quietly interjected.

"What, were you drafted?" You asked.

"Actually we volunteered," Felicia replied.

You shook your head in disbelief, "Why? Isn't being a police officer kind of the opposite of what you want to do?"

Felicia shrugged, "Well actually I got the offer to be a field medic, and she got the offer for field psychiatrist to deal with hostage situations. We both figured that a lot of other people we know are so- Hey! Why are we even talking about this!? What in the world are you thinking coming out hear alone?!"

You pointed a finger in the direction the tracks were laid, "Silvia could be planning to drag another human from my world any minute, assuming she hasn't already."

"And what? You've suddenly become the hammer of justice to put her in her place? You're going off on a suicide mission!" Felecia argued.

"Has it also occurred to you that if I don't take that thing away from her, another human might be tortured and killed?" You asked.

"We're not talking about another human," Felicia shouted, "We're talking about you!"

You suddenly felt a surge of rage well up in your chest, "So it's okay if another human dies as long as I'm safe?"

"Yes!" Felicia bellowed. Her voice echoing through the woods.

All fell silent for a moment before Kara spoke, "Nobody wants anyone to die. But, you're Kiba. Our Kiba. We know you, we've spent time with you, we love you. We can't let you risk your life for someone else based on might's and maybe's."