The Man In The Machine

You stood in front of a rather unremarkable building beside Luna. You looked up at her in confusion, "What is this place?"

"A research station," Came a distant but familiar male voice. You spun around as Malcolm walked towards you with his usual pleasant demeanor. A small smile on his face as Celica accompanied him. He gave you an approving nod as he looked down on you, "You put on quite the show during your game. Your strategies and coordination were unlike anything we've ever seen. And the teamwork between you three is impressive, to say the least."

You returned his smile with a small smile of your own, "Thank you."

Malcolm frowned at you, "Is something wrong?"

You shook your head, "No, it's just. I... don't think that I performed as well as I should have."

Malcolm nodded in understanding and then turned his attention to Luna, "I thought you were going to wait until after his tournament to show him."

Luna sighed, "It's better that they see it now."

"They?" Malcolm questioned.

"Good evening Mayor Deluma," Tanya greeted as she strolled up with Annika and Hunter following close behind her on either side.

"Bringing the whole family in on this one I see," Malcolm observed.

Tanya shrugged, "The way I see it, these two would've found a way to squeeze it out of Kiba anyway. Plus, I think its better to keep them all in the same loop, you know? They're practically siblings at this point."

Malcolm looked to you and then to the two foxes who eyed you with concern. Annika came over to your side and put a hand on your shoulder while Hunter gave you a light nudge from behind before coming up beside you and offering a friendly smile. You couldn't help but muster a small but genuine smile of your own, something the mayor took note of, "Yes," he nodded, "I can see that more clearly now. Shall we go in?"

Luna nodded prompting Malcolm to move towards the front door. Two tigers quickly stepped out to intercept him. They were dressed in what looked like police uniforms, but they were all black instead of blue. Malcolm was admitted in without any resistance. The two tigers eyed him up and down to make sure that he was indeed himself. Luna approached with you at her side. You were honestly intimidated by the two large felines who were obviously standing guard. However, Luna firmly placed a hand on your shoulder and gently guided you between them.

One of the two stood directly in front of her, blocking her path. However, she quickly presented her badge. At the sight of her badge, the tiger nodded and stood aside, "They're with me," Luna stated as she gestured to Tanya and the two younger foxes that stood with her.

The tiger nodded, "Understood commander."

You looked up at Luna in confusion, "Commander? I thought you were a captain."

Luna looked down at you and offered a small apologetic smile before ushering you through the door. Hunter and Annika were both eager to see what was inside, and in their haste, they swept you along leaving Luna standing alone at the doo as Tanya approached her from behind.

Tanya eyed Luna with a serious expression plastered onto her face, "I can't blame the kid for being surprised. After all, I thought you were a captain too. Since when are you a commander?"

Luna answered without taking her eyes off of you, "Since Malcolm handed me authority and oversight over the city's new Strategic Response Division."

Tanya nodded, "I see. I wonder what other secrets you're keeping."

"The only secrets remaining aren't mine to give."

Tanya raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean by that?"