Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 1)

Song: "Mercurial" - Immediate Music

        "There it is. The Guardian's Tree." Pausing, Crystal hovered in front of the familiar, canopy-covered tree. Evie's nostrils picked up the sweet scents of the pink flowers. She remembered the tree where she and Sam first found Euphorbia.

"It's beautiful," Evie said out loud, but then she quickly shook her head. She could not fall victim to the tree's mystical appearance. She had a mission.

The medical helicopter was already waiting at the tree's enormous base. It, too, sported the Ranger Union's theme colors and logo. It was a very fancy-looking vehicle. A couple of paramedics/rangers stood around outside it. They already had another gurney ready. They carefully studied the area, in case any danger was nearby.

Evie and Crystal landed in front of them.

Gasping, the paramedics quickly backed away from them.

"Don't worry. I'm a good guy," Evie explained. She placed her hand to her heart. "I'm Evie, and this is my alicorn, Crystal. I'm one of Mateo's campers." She swung her leg behind her and hopped off Crystal. Her ride folded her wings.

The paramedics calmed down.

"Where's the boy?" one of them, Dr. Anderson, asked.

Evie stabbed the butt of her staff into the soft soil under hers, the rangers', and Crystal's feet. A gust of wind blew her long ponytail over her shoulder. "The ambulance is coming. I'm the other Pebble Master, so it is my duty to guide them here."

"You?" Dr. Anderson almost scoffed. "You're just a kid."

Evie smirked. "Am I? Or are you upset that I'm a girl?"

Dr. Anderson shut down. He did not expect a little kid to give him the cold shoulder.

Evie turned to Crystal. "All right, Crystal, tell me what I need to do. Where are the others?"

"The others?" Dr. Anderson wanted to know.

"There is a platoon of Bittersweet soldiers hiding here somewhere," Crystal explained.

Dr. Anderson's eyes widened. "The Bittersweet? Do you mean the indigenous people of the Paperblank Forest?"

Crystal nodded. "That's exactly what I mean. We are expecting the hunter's army to try to stop us from saving Mateo, so we have a lot of people to cover for him and the medics." She glanced at Evie. "Come with me, Evie. I'll show you where to put Euphorbia's pebble. It will release the spirit of the Guardian, who shall help us."

"The spirit of the Guardian?" Evie asked. Dang, that sounded cool. She gasped when her staff transformed back into the pebble. It shimmered in the palm of her hand.

Crystal took her over to the tree's trunk. It was the largest one Evie had ever seen in her life. Crystal gestured for her to climb back on, and Evie did. She flew up to the exact center point of the trunk. "Do you see that hole there?" she asked. "Put the pebble in there."

It was hard to see, but finally, Evie found it. There was a single small hole in the direct heart of the trunk. It was so easy to overlook.

"Only a Pebble Master can release the spirit," Crystal continued. "However, Mateo is out of sorts at the moment, and Sam missed his chance. Therefore, it's up to you, Evie."

Evie took a deep breath. She suddenly felt not as brave, even though she wore a warrior helmet on her head. Could she do it? Dr. Anderson was right. She was only a kid. But... Mateo needed her. If she didn't succeed, then he would die. Well, he wouldn't die yet. Evie had a sickening feeling deep in her gut, but she tried her best to shake it off. Inhaling deeply, she placed the pebble in the hole.

The Green GuardianOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara