Chapter 8: Emergency!

Song: "Spanish Tango" - James Horner

        The Feast of Peace was that night at 6:30 in the center of the village. There was both indoor and outdoor seating. The specialty was a buffet table.

Mateo got all decked out for the event. He changed into an orange, matador-like jacket and orange pants. Silver lace gave his pants a very formal appearance. Up near his neck was a red bow. He wore a sombrero on his head.

Evie kept her white shirt and jean shorts on. She smiled when her group reached the village's heart. The first thing she saw was a large bonfire. Tables and chairs were all over the place, and there was even a stage. Strings of different-colored lights stretched over her group's heads. The buffet table was next to the stage and near the indoor seating.

Paperblank villagers wore traditional clothing and danced for the campers. The women had long, flowing dresses with different colors. They wore their hair up in high pigtails.

Ashlynn pointed out a banner that read: Welcome to Paperblank Village, campers.

The group met up with the rest of the camp crew near the buffet table. Fireflies flickered by their heads like lanterns.

Ms. Julie clapped her hands together. She announced in an excited voice, "Welcome to the Feast of Peace, campers. Feel free to grab whatever you want to eat. The performance will start in about an hour."

"Performance?" a little girl asked.

"To welcome us to the forest," Ms. Julie explained. "Y'all are going to learn the legend that had been passed down in this village for generations." She grinned. "The legend of the Green Guardian."

Instantly, the children were intrigued. They exchanged looks with one another and started to mutter.

The Green Guardian sounded interesting to Evie, but also eerie.

Mateo felt the same way. He lowered his sombrero over his face.

Ashlynn touched Evie's shoulder. "Come on, Evie! Let's eat!"

There was so much food. Evie had no idea where to begin: those steaming potatoes, the deliciously rolled burritos, or that flat, perfectly cut ham? She and Ashlynn grabbed their plates from the table's end. They were warm as if someone had just pulled them out of an oven.

The first thing Evie picked up was some bread. She held it in her hand like a baseball bat and tasted it. The crunchiness melted on her tongue. She said with a full mouth, "Oh my gosh. This bread is delicious."

Next to her, Ashlynn chuckled. She got some bread of her own. She and Evie filled their plates and found a table that was close to the stage and dance floor.

Mateo sat all alone across from them. He wasn't super hungry. He propped up his head with one hand and poked his salad with his fork. He seemed lost in thought.

Ashlynn glanced at Evie and gestured at him.

She shook her head, but Ashlynn went ahead and pulled her to her feet. The two girls joined Mateo at his table.

"Mind if we sit here, Mr. Mateo?" Ashlynn questioned.

Evie noticed she was blushing.

"No, not at all. Have a seat," Mateo said.

At his command, the two friends sat down. They set their plates in front of them.

Like Ashlynn, Evie blushed.