Chapter 25: Thebes Strikes Back

"Evie, Evie." Ashlynn shook Evie's shoulder.

"What?" she grumbled. She yawned as she came to. The first thing she saw was Ashlynn hovering over her.

In a panicked voice, she said, "Sam's missing."

"What are you talking about?" Evie sat up. Her blue eyes rolled over to Sam's empty bed. Early morning sunshine shimmered through the window. Evie also started to panic. "Sam? Sam!"

Emrys, John, Tate, and Amanda also woke up.

John tripped over his own leg and tumbled over.

"Sam!" Evie shouted.

Seranet was almost fully awake when the camp crew made it outside. Fairy children were on their way to school. They patted their leafy bags and raced one another. The school was located on top of one of the village's waterfalls. A few pixies gathered some leaves and grass to add to their breakfast.

Evie and her friends looked around for Sam. He was nowhere to be found.

"Oh gosh," Tate grumbled. "What are we supposed to tell Mr. Mateo?"

Crystal the unicorn appeared on Seranet's main road. Her mane looked extra beautiful that morning as if somebody had combed it overnight. "Don't worry about Sam, Tate," spoke her wise voice. "He's fine. Euphorbia is looking after him."

"What are you talking about?" Evie said. She thought Euphorbia left.

Crystal did not answer her. "Right now, we need to focus on Mateo. Your ambulance is here. It's waiting on the other side of Seranet's entrance. After we get him to the hospital, we'll search for Sam."

To Evie's surprise, Ms. Brook and Maria stepped out from behind a building. Both of them wore a pair of shorts with some sneakers. Amazed, their eyes roamed around the village. Evie's parents stepped onto the scene, too. They also wore some outdoor clothes. The whole family was there. Terrific.

"Mom! Dad!" Evie barked.

"Evie, you're okay!" Charlotte and Keegan rushed to her. They smashed her head into their chests.

Evie almost suffocated; their grips were so powerful. "Mom, Dad, I'm fine." She pushed herself out of her parents' arms before they could snap her neck.

The last person to join the party was Ranger Krysta. She rode on her motorcycle. Tilting her ranger cap, she nodded at Evie and her friends. "Good morning."

***

Ben and Edger woke up a little sore. A few feathers from the mat they landed on stuck to their skin.

Edger pushed Ben off him. He did not approve of the fact that he slept on top of him. He rose to his knees, right when his little girl, Diana, jumped down from a hole in the tent's roof.

"Daddy! You're okay." She leaped into her father's arms.

Mateo had pulled an all-nighter, all because he was traumatized. He had not left the table he hid under or dropped his protective barrier. He was covered in cobwebs. He heard Diana asking if her father was all right, and his heart snapped in two. His little Isabella.

Ben turned toward the table. "Mateo, are you seriously still under there?" He nudged Edger. "Hide the mask. We can't let him see it."

Edger hid it behind him, right when Evie, her friends, and family entered the hospital.