Chapter 49

Meanwhile, in the palace of Clegane, Earl Argon had many things to ask Lagertha and many answers to receive from her. Brant was not there to help the Wolf Queen because of how much rest Lagertha told him to have. She knew fully that nobody in high places would ever trust a hunter of night creatures. She knew also that a demon king cursed the massive city and sent the beast of sorcery upon the people.

"A demon king? There isn't only one king?" Argon asked.

"Every kingdom on Earth has a powerful demon sitting on the thrones. The king of Midland commands all of those creatures and forces them to do his bidding. His power knows no bounds, and he is more powerful than every demon king," Lagertha said.

"I must know. I must know everything... or my very people will disown me. Even my most trusted advisers are now looking at me with twisted perspectives," he said.

"What do you need to know, Earl Argon? I won't hesitate to give you an answer."

"Very well. Where do you come from? Who are you? What are you?"

The Wolf Queen refused to give out her own identity to every person she ever came across. She also hoped that even if she gave out her secret, that people would keep everything to themselves. Lagertha stayed silent for a long time; she tried grasping the idea of whether Argon would tell everybody about her. She breathed heavily to not make her statement as vivid as possible to the earl. Lagertha went closer to the earl to make sure he heard everything he needed to know.

Then she spoke to him, saying, "I am no mere knight. I am no mere demon slayer, Earl Argon. The truth is... the king of Midland is my father. I live to hunt down and destroy every creature he sends against me. I live to bring an end to the rule of demon kings and lift the curse of all the kingdoms. I have the blood of elder wolves."

"So... it is true. You are what they say you are. Anyone else would've been devoured by Mundis," Argon said.

Then Lagertha replied, "Let alone anyone with a sword like mine. My sword is powerful enough to devour souls. Its power and strength make me victorious against those who are nearly impossible to put to the ground. No matter how far I go, I'll make sure every kingdom on earth is free from King Mephiles. But I am generous enough to be merciful... you told me swords would not work against Mundis."

"It wasn't my fault, Lagertha. The news was given to me that the dark magic was too strong for a sword to go through its body. I knew you for your strength and skills, but my people and advisors could never understand me."

"There is much about me I won't let them know. The only thing you should know is that my body is human... but my soul is that of a ferocious beast. That's why Fate still makes me continue my journey."

"Then, of all things, there is something I must know. It doesn't concern me, but it will concern you. The matter at hand cannot be known by anyone else."

"I'm listening."

"Why does that young hunter follow a powerful demon slayer like you?"

The Wolf Queen understood that such a topic would be very complicated to give a straight answer. An answer for an earl was always demanded by everyone, and Lagertha was no exception. She was never interested in royal affairs, yet she needed to obey Earl Argon. His city was already cursed by the dark magic of Mephiles, even if the Wolf Queen already killed Mundis. She takes one step back because she fears the earl would call his council together.

"Do you want to know? Are you asking me this, or is this a question coming from your council?" Lagertha asked.

"It is merely a question coming from me. But soon enough, my advisors will ask you that. You will never break free," Argon answered.

Lagertha looked down and said, "Brant follows me... because he has nothing else and nobody else in life. He follows me because we've known each other for quite a while now. He and I saw something in ourselves that drives us to move on from our past. As long as I'm on my journey, I will protect him with my life. I will never watch him suffer. And nobody will take him from me."

As she said that, Earl Argon had nothing else to ask her, and he no longer demanded an answer. He finally understood what she was truly capable of and what she would do to keep his city protected. It will take a while for his council to come to their senses of what they think about the Wolf Queen. It will take just as long for Clegane's citizens to understand Lagertha's intentions. Since she is the daughter of Midland's king, almost nobody will ever feel welcome by her very presence.

"Earl Argon, I need to do this. For your sake and protecting your people, I must go to that castle. I must protect your people from whatever harm befalls you," Lagertha said.

"And what happens if you don't succeed? What will happen if the evil growing in that castle increases?" Argon asked.

"Then that king will just send another powerful creature with magic to protect his body. The entire process will keep going until this very city belongs to the king of Midland. I'm here to make sure such a thing doesn't happen," she said.

"Very well. You are more powerful than I am. Your very presence is disturbing enough to the demons and my very people. Yet, if you succeed, I shall make you rich beyond all measure. Your name will live forever. The world will never be the same."

"Of all the people I've come across in recent memory, you're the only one who never shunned me out. The earth will thrive much more with earls like you ruling the people. Perhaps even the humans are doing more than just protecting themselves."

"I am a generous ruler. I can give you whatever your heart desires. Just say the word and it shall be done."

The offer was something that a madman would refuse, and it was an offer that was more tempting than anything Lagertha would imagine. The Wolf Queen was not easily someone to be bargained with, but she knew how to bribe people. Kings and queens were nearly impossible to be bribed by commoners, yet Lagertha was no commoner. Her natural appearance was enough for Earl Argon to grant her citizenship; he truly wanted her to feel welcomed. Then, she took one small step towards the earl to give her answer before something troublesome happens.

"By the time I come back here, I would like to be offered a bath, and the finest food and drink you offer. If I'm going to be welcomed in your city, I want Brant to feel the same way. You know I might not return to you, for Midland's king grows stronger wherever I am," Lagertha said.

"You have my word. You have my gratitude and my will. Let God guide your path, Wolf Queen," Argon said. Then Lagertha bowed her head before the earl, and they had nothing more to say to each other.

It was the first time in an entire year that she had been in a city where she would feel welcomed. Just hearing the words of the earl was enough for Lagertha to remain motivated and loyal to his laws. And so, Lagertha was on her way to the dark castle behind the city as the night was ready to begin. The night waited anxiously for the Wolf Queen to get ready for the demons to prepare their onslaught. She fought more night creatures in their onslaughts than their massive battles against the humans.

Lagertha walks away from the city of Clegane and finds herself alone once again in the unwelcoming world. She got too used to letting Brant be with her; he was her only friend and the only one who ever showed an ounce of love to her. The Wolf Queen hoped her boyfriend would feel much better by the time she severed the demon king's head from his shoulders. In her eyes, the king ruling the dark castle would not live to see another night. As she walked on the dark trail, her mind was clear enough to understand how powerful the servants of Mephiles can be.

"Keep resting, Brant. I'll be back to you. This demon king will pay... with his life," Lagertha said. She was very keen on making sure the young hunter waited for her to return so they could leave this cursed city.