Chapter 34

Naberius became very fearful about the Demon Wolf and the way the king spoke with him. There was nothing the demon general could do to give Mephiles another answer because he had other things planned. But plans fail in these dark times and room for improvement is needed for people who disavow their leaders. Then, Naberius walks away from Mephiles and rushes out of the library as the evening is almost over. The Demon Wolf felt many emotions run into his soul, and he could not change what has already been done.

Mephiles walks back to his chair and begins breathing angrily because he is fed up with those who do not obey him. He sat down and felt like he wanted to kill Naberius before he could join the others. He felt like he wanted to tear out the wolf inside his soul and make him devour every disobedient creature in the castle. Then, he looks down and looks at the visible veins on his hand, and he tries desperately to control his fiery temper. All he needed at the moment was to close his eyes and forget most of these things did not happen.

Meanwhile, Naberius saw Godbrand walking by himself; the viking demon had some plans for the general. Naberius kept himself quiet and had no reason to talk to anybody at the moment. Godbrand started following the helpless creature to wherever he felt like he should go. Naberius looks the other way and desperately tries not to have Godbrand stare back at him.

"What's on your mind, Naberius?" Godbrand asked.

"I'd rather not talk about it, Godbrand. Now let me be," Naberius said.

"I can hear from an enormous distance. You spoke to Mephiles, haven't you? Only the foolish and the courageous approach the king without summons."

"Godbrand, Mephiles has gone insane. A madman from head to toe. He'd rather make this livestock live here than care about our survival during these times."

"That's his problem. Not mine."

"It'll be your problem, soon enough!"

Godbrand turns around and looks away from Naberius; he knew something was up between him and Mephiles. Naberius was hiding a secret from Godbrand, but the viking demon did not have time for mindless riddles. The crazed demon assumed Godbrand knew too much about the world to where he might know more than Mephiles. Godbrand walks forward and away from Naberius. Yet that did not stop the demon general from making his point.

"Tell me, what happens when Mephiles discovers what you're really up to and if he unleashes his armies against you? What will you do if you finally stand up for yourself and do what is right?" Naberius asked.

"That was a lifetime ago. I sealed my fate and I'm beyond redemption. All that matters is that I follow the one who will lead humanity into a better future," Godbrand answered.

"That's not enough! He'd rather have the humans live here than give us food or wealth for all the things we've done for him! Something tells me he cares more about those wretched humans than his own kind!"

"I wouldn't say such things if I were you. King Mephiles will provide for anyone and everyone. His word is law. In the new era, this world will never suffer from corruption again."

Then, Naberius turns away from Godbrand and begins doubting everything the castle stood for. He began regretting his decision of ever stepping foot into the castle of Midland. His stomping, and his walking north and south, made it abundant that he no longer wished to be toyed with. He walks towards a stairway to be gone from the faces of all who serve Mephiles.

"We're all going to die! All of us!" Naberius shouted.

"Hold on a moment, Naberius!" Godbrand said.

"I'm not drinking your wine and singing to your gods, Godbrand! Damn this place! Damn all you sniveling worms!"

"You'll regret that."

Before Naberius could make another step, Godbrand kicks him in the back and makes him fall down the stairs. Godbrand made the demon leader tumble down to the floor he was planning to be on. As a viking demon, he could move faster than an average human and make most of his foes fall to their knees. He could make them surrender and beg for their lives instead of giving them a choice. Godbrand steps on Naberius's chest, and he could not move away from how powerful the viking demon is.

"What do you think you're doing?" Naberius asked.

"I'm making you listen to everything I will say. You cannot change what I do and you won't break free. This isn't the first time I made someone surrender and beg for their miserable lives," Godbrand said.

"If you think you can kill me, you're brave or foolish. Unlike any of you, I'm actually trying to save you from starvation and take you into a better direction. Mephiles... he knows nothing."

"You wish to save your kind and create a new oath that will endanger us all? Walk it off, Naberius. It's impossible to reject the laws of your only king. The one who is trying to take care of you and the one who is changing this world for the better."

"For the better? Where was he when we were freely roaming the world and killing all who tried to kill us? All he cares about is that pet vampire. I don't like it at all. Vampires have no place in this kingdom, especially around this king!"

"Be grateful that she is not ready to rip out your throat! If she heard you right now, you won't like what will happen to you when she tears you to shreds. Long ago, I loved her. I adored her both as a friend and as a mate. She already proved to me she is more powerful than I. Allow me to share this word of wisdom with you."

As he began, he looked back into the days when he was a raider and one who served his Norse gods before all went astray. He remembered when he gave sacrifices and drank ale before the gods he served. Because of that, he was given many riches and was known throughout all the northern lands. He also looked back to when he fought and defended his family and kingdom, only to be taken by the demons and had no choice but to give in to them. Godbrand helps Naberius up from the floor and reflects on everything that led him to this moment.

Godbrand spoke to him, saying, "I was like the humans once. Long ago, I was one of many who made deals with devils after I put many of my enemies to the sword. The time came when a creature from Hell, who appeared as a werewolf, came to me and forced me to be on my knees. I told him that all I ever wanted in life was to protect my people and be more powerful than my foes could imagine. Because I had nothing left in my life, I became like this... a creature that the humans have feared since the beginning of time.

"Lenora may not be like any of us. She may not be a servant of Hell and may not be the most ruthless of creatures like us. But she is formidable, trustworthy, and noble to us and to the king. The old kings and queens are dead. The laws of men are dead. This kingdom will thrive and expand greater than any kingdom you've ever known. And I'm here to make sure those events come to pass."

Naberius became speechless at Godbrand's words, and he had nothing else to say and nowhere else to bother a demon general. Both of them were already given the true nature of the leaders of the castle; both of them already found solutions that would make both Mephiles and Lenora angry at them. Godbrand's mind and will became different ever since he swore that oath to the vampire. Naberius looks at himself and tries to regret everything he said to both Mephiles and Godbrand. The viking demon and the demon general already feared the dominant power of the castle of Midland had against all the other castles of the earth.

"If you wish to survive, and if you wish to live to see all of this play out, you must serve the king of Midland. Keep your trust in him so that he can keep his trust in you. I figured that out the hard way," Godbrand said.

"Fear is the only thing the humans understand. Eventually, the earth will die out like other worlds. I will serve whom I choose," Naberius said. Then, he walked away from the viking demon and left him there as the night had already come.

The evening sun had already gone down, and the moon became visible in the night once again.