Chapter 32

Elsewhere in the castle, Godbrand explored the paintings and sculptures that Mephiles created in the hallways. Some of them were when Mephiles became king of other worlds and what he looked like. Godbrand noticed that this new ruler of the earth is more than just a mighty demon king. He was once a mighty warrior and a noble knight when he conquered realms and dominated kings. His artwork became attached to the walls, and they were never to be taken down by anyone.

"King Mephiles... once a warrior, once a knight, and once the conqueror of many realms. What kind of mortal is this?" Godbrand asked. Then, Naberius walked up to him and looked at the paintings with the viking demon as everyone else was minding their own business.

"He is definitely a mortal worthy to be feared. Some say he would be the ruler of all, and others say he exists to serve whatever god he believes exists out there," he said.

"You truly believe that? What if Mephiles is just a servant of some other powerful force? What if he is a god himself who descended from the heavens as a man?" Godbrand asked.

"Nonsense. They are mere myths told from people who wish to make stories up about legends. They usually question their own beliefs about what others wish to say about gods and kings."

"There are other things that must be done. It may as well be true that Mephiles is a god-king. Lord of the earth, conqueror of worlds, and king of the gods."

"There are no gods... not anymore. They have all abandoned their own people and hid from the dragons and titans. We are the superior beings that rule this earth, and our existence is inevitable."

Godbrand clearly understood that Naberius existed to bring an end to humans and please his king. He never wanted to doubt the loyalty of his kin, but he needed lots of answers from Mephiles. His fatal flaw was that he needed to know why the king kept holding them back from sinking their teeth into human throats. He wanted to know why they would need humanity to side with them in this kingdom. There was nothing Godbrand could do to answer the endless questions Naberius had in his head.

"We cannot force King Mephiles to answer every question in our minds. I already proved that to all of you when I first came here. Mephiles's words have proven good," Godbrand said.

"King Mephiles is no titan, Godbrand. Even god-kings themselves can be broken. They can force even those who served him to answer everything," Naberius said.

"All the titans are petty and pathetic. It is they who conspired against humanity, brought all of us to the earth, and released the spell that separated the earth from the heavens. None of us can turn back time. Not even a demon general like yourself. You and I may be more powerful than the common night creatures, but we exist to carry out King Mephiles's decree."

"Oh... are you also a friend of humans, Godbrand? What do you know about humanity that I don't? What weaknesses are there for humans that can be compared to us?"

"You can never truly kill me, Naberius. Because I died many, many years ago when I was a man. I went from being a powerful warrior, to one who wonders the night and hunts down my prey. Besides, I've already sent one of my trusted men to deal with the Wolf Queen. One of our servants who can turn into a beast. I gave them enough authority to wreak fear on all who come across them."

"Well, that is one way to get that woman situated. That sure is a way to keep the humans up on their feet. This plan of yours better not be a waste of our time. If there is anything I know about the servants in black armor, is that their magic and sorcery keeps them alive. Their abilities make the common demons tremble before them. Sending them to our new foe should be no problem. Powers like that... she'll have to do more than just swing her sword."

Naberius was not wrong; Lagertha needed to be ready more than ever to fight such enemies. They were ones who did nothing more than serve the war council, and they would do whatever they wish to kill their opponents. Then, Godbrand looked at the other side of the hallway and saw Lenora walking all by herself. Naberius makes sure everything in the hallway is intact and becomes certain that nobody would ruin it with their hands.

"Well, Naberius, I have to get going. Do whatever is necessary to keep everything a secret. Even if my servant doesn't kill the Wolf Queen on sight, I'll always find another way," Godbrand said.

"We'll meet again, Godbrand," Naberius said. And so, he walked away from the viking demon, and he went out minding his own business.

Godbrand started following Lenora in the next hallway as no other demons beside him were seen. As he followed the vampire, he could hear a few demons drinking ale and beer. But it seemed as if Lenora would not be alone for a drink because she had plenty of food and drink to have for herself. Godbrand followed Lenora to her room; he checked to see if any creature was dumb enough to be wondering what he is doing.

Lenora goes over to the mirror and looks at her entire body, and she wonders if she ever mattered to her king or not. She then takes off her fur coat and fixes her long orange hair as it breezes with the wind easing by. All she could ever see was a vampire who lost everything and became something that the humans fear other than the demons. All she could ask was why she became a vampire other than to make the world understand why everyone who loved her forsook her. But now, she is the king's most trusted advisor and the most highly respected person of the kingdom besides the king himself.

Then, Godbrand enters the room and watches Lenora getting herself ready as the evening was coming for them. He walked towards her and realized how eager she needed to appear in front of the war council. Without her noticing, he wraps his arms around her from behind; she looks at him and knows what he was really trying to do. All he wanted with her was to be around her and tell her his genuine feelings about her. The only thing that mattered to him was how much care he has for someone like Lenora.

"You're a pretty tough lady to pin down. How do you do, madam?" Godbrand asked.

"Why are you in here, Godbrand?" Lenora asked.

"Ah, truly, you haven't forgotten about me. If you have, know that I never forgot about you. I will never force my hand against you," he answered.

"Such nobility for someone who kills for sport. Such bravery for someone who went from being a human into something he once despised in his human years."

"You're no different, either. I know above all things that we were destined, you and me, for each other. We both saved and protected each other in our greatest hour of need. I know you think about me wherever you go and whatever you do."

"Destined for each other? Where on earth did you get that idea? You already know that I serve King Mephiles and his second-in-command. All I have to do is snap my fingers and the last thing you'll ever see would be you at the executioner's block. What you and me did was a lifetime ago... a myth from another life. I can see how much you want me, but what we might do can cause a stir."

Lenora may have secretly been with Godbrand before she started being with Mephiles, but she wished she could forget those events. When the viking demon is visible, all the vampire could think about were the times he tried to win her over. Then, he releases her from his grasp, and he takes a giant step back to watch her be prepared. He then realizes that Lenora may have been listening to him speak with Naberius about his secret plan. He had many plans for the Wolf Queen, yet he fears that he may have gotten a bit overboard.

"You heard me back there, haven't you? Have you been hearing me talk with Naberius?" Godbrand asked.

"Why would I want to listen to you and him? What makes you say that?" Lenora asked.

"I suppose you know who we are dealing with. I take it you may have heard about this mortal they call... the Wolf Queen. The one who wanders the night and the one who slays every demon wherever she goes," he said.