Chapter 28

Throughout the entire morning, Lagertha and Brant slept well and stayed away from the demise of the demons. They were both anxious about what Clegane had in store and what else their deeds will bring. None of them knew if they would be seen as heroes or just ordinary hunters who have a death wish. Before they knew it, the morning was over and the time came for them to speak with the earl. Lagertha began to slowly open her eyes and let Brant know they need to get going and wait for the night to come.

"Wake up, Brant," she whispered. He did not answer her because of how much sleep he was having; it seemed like he wanted nothing to do with being awake.

Lagertha shook his shoulder and scratch his back to make him open his eyes, and she became fully aware about their new situation.

"Brant, wake up," she said. A few seconds later, he quickly had his eyes opened, and Lagertha became the first thing he saw in his vision.

"Oh, hi there. What's going on?" Brant asked.

"We can't rest here any longer. We have to be on our way," she answered. She gets herself up from the bed as Brant rubs his eyes for his sight to be clearer.

She puts her shoes on, and she heads straight for her armor and cloak as the afternoon was already upon her. It was a common afternoon for the people of Clegane, but a rare time for the Wolf Queen. The young hunter wanted answers like Lagertha did, but his reasons were far different from her reasons. The night creatures were always a common threat for all cities and kingdoms, yet not as common to have a magical creature threaten it. Lagertha puts on her armor, wraps her cloak around her back, and attaches her scabbard on her side.

Then, she watches as Brant gets himself ready and notices how quickly he can get his armor on than she did. She looks outside to see if any thane or servant of the earl came looking for her. There would always be that kind of person searching for the ones who carry a strange omen around them. The servants of the earl would always want to know these kinds of demon slayers and their purpose for being in a certain city. Sometimes, the leaders themselves would search the area for the people they believe to be potential threats.

After getting themselves situated, Lagertha and Brant walk out of the room they were renting, and they were greeted with all kinds of faces staring back at them. The Wolf Queen got used to having people give her a distinct look every time she entered a new city. But it was unusual for Brant to be stared at by people he believed may not be friendly to him during these dark times. They paid no attention as they were heading for the door to see the person in charge of keeping the city on its feet. They could hear the people whispering amongst themselves about why two demon slayers came into their lives.

Then, Lagertha opens the front door of the inn, and they both went outside for some fresh air. The air was frosty, yet it felt better than how the temperature ran inside the inn. Lagertha and Brant had nothing to lose as they walked to the largest building of the city to speak with the earl. The earl had a priest to take over the city's church and a thane who serves him wherever he goes. For a common city, it was well-protected, well-prepared, and well-engaged for those who want to know more about Clegane.

"Lagertha, someone's coming," Brant said.

"Who is that?" She asked.

"He... looks like someone who wants to have a word with you. He doesn't look friendly, either," he answered. Lagertha and Brant stopped walking and noticed the knight in steel plate armor walking towards them with a few other men.

He did not have a helmet, which meant that people all over the town could see the man for his true nature and all his scars were visible. His name is Howlett of Clegane, and his sword was in the earl's name and his father's name. He walked towards the Wolf Queen and the young hunter for some questions needing to be answered. His time outside was short because he needed to prepare for tonight's raid against the demons.

"Stop right there! Who are you and why are you both fully armed? However, I see you're both well-equipped for a fight against the night creatures. Now state your reasons for being here," Howlett said.

Then Lagertha answered him, saying, "We are both demon slayers. We are on our way to your lord to aid him. We have nothing to hide. We have heard of the evil monster that murders your people in the night. We want to help the earl defeat this awful enemy and restore peace to the land and to his soul, if such a thing is possible. Otherwise he will suffer for the rest of his days while his hall sits empty."

"Ah, so you have heard of my brother, the earl of Clegane. His name is Argon, and he was the first who descended from my father and thus claimed the title as the leader of Clegane. Whenever the demon king of that castle is defeated, whatever year that is, Argon will claim that throne and be crowned the king," he said.

"If you let me speak with the earl, I can aid you and him against the evil that lurks here. I will prove to you I am not like the other demon hunters who come and waste your time. I travel to other regions for one purpose only: to rid the earth of all the demons and send them all back to where they came from."

"I will make sure that happens. You have a knight's spirit and a warrior's soul. Your friend there might be the same as you. Every night, our city is plundered with demons and sorcery that even the mightiest of my fellow knights cannot take down. Come with me. Soon enough, you will earn your chance to prove yourself."

Then, Howlett led the way to the palace as Lagertha and Brant followed behind the earl's brother. The two demon hunters saw the city for what it is and concluded that it felt bland, and the demon's presence truly caused a stir. Some people were already going back to their houses as soon as they saw Howlett in the town. They were fearful of the strongest knight who served Earl Argon, but none of them had a clue on why he would allow two outsiders into the city. Even though he had an impure heart, Howlett was still eager to know more about the Wolf Queen and the young hunter.

"Excuse me, but I don't think either of you introduced yourselves. Sometimes, it's nice to know of those who wield enormous swords and carry weapons that could be heirlooms," Howlett said.

"Oh, well, my name is Lagertha. I'm from Midland and his name is Brant. He's also from Midland," she said.

"Both of you are far away from home. Yet I can see exactly why because of what happened one year ago. That night, the kingdom was overrun with night creatures and fear spread like mage-fire. The new leader of the demons killed the king of Midland and took the throne for himself," he said.

"Yes, we've heard of the story. A very tragic thing that neither of us will ever forget. Didn't you tell everyone that the creature is guarded by dark magic?"

"Aye. The demonic beast is protected by the strongest sorcery, and it's a powerful curse. A hundred knights fell victim to this wretched beast, and we hide our faces from the darkness. Let us hope you don't disappoint us tonight. You might either win against this monster or die trying."

"You have my word."

Lagertha and Howlett said nothing more to each other as they were heading for the palace of Clegane as the afternoon continued. The time was coming for some knights to get ready and prepare the city's defenses. Lagertha and Brant became silent, and they were both worried about what the earl might want for each other. They followed the earl's brother to answer some needed questions if the stories about them are true.

Before they knew it, Lagertha and Brant gazed upon the mighty palace in the city of Clegane. They were both astonished at how magnificent it appeared before their eyes during the afternoon. Truly, this palace and this city were unlike any other, but mostly for the wrong reasons. The people were seriously trying to shelter themselves from many evil that lurks in the city.