Chapter 23

When the ground started shaking, Brant could also feel a sudden shift in the wind. At first, he thought it was just the wind howling in the distance, but he slowly realized he is not alone. The Wolf Queen continued holding the handle of her blade and did not pull it out until she came across a demon. However, it was not the sound of shrieking or yelling from the demons; it was the sound of an army marching through. Lagertha and Brant stood together and pulled out their swords to fight whatever comes from the fog.

"BRANT, STAY BEHIND ME!!" Lagertha shouted. She was absolutely keen on keeping Brant alive and well before her journey ends; she did not want him to die a grisly death.

She did not want the hunter to end up like the countless others she has already put to the sword. Both of them stood beside each other and had no desire to abandon each other in such an ungodly time. Then, they watched a giant figure stroll from the fog and carried a large black greatsword. He appeared to a man who wore black armor with a red cloak to cover his back, but there was a powerful demon inside him. The man also had red hair and appeared to be a viking leading an entire band of raiders.

This was a man who was controlled by Godbrand's magic, and he lived to serve King Mephiles. His sole reason for living was to appease his master and kill all his enemies before they kill him. His name is Basim of Northumbria, a demonic warrior and servant of the king of Midland. Like many others, he was once a man who fell into darkness after killing more demons than anyone. He walked towards the Wolf Queen and removed his hood so that she could see him with a better view.

"Who are you?" Lagertha asked.

"How ironic fate can be. I didn't know I would meet a mortal of your caliber. I thank you, Lagertha of Stockholm," Basim said.

"What's going on here? How do you know my name?" She asked.

"I know you, Wolf Queen. You are the daughter of the king of Midland. Your family once served the previous kings and queens of old before we succeeded them."

"The hell do you know about that? What kind of creature are you?"

It was already not good to hear that this new person knew so much about her and her family. Not only would Lagertha try to kill him, she would force him to tell her everything he knows. Lagertha held onto her sword and pointed the blade at Basim's face before he could make a move. Her rage built up; her hatred for the night creatures caught on with her. Then, Basim and Lagertha walk towards each other. But Brant stayed right where he is because he did not like what might happen.

"I am Basim. We are many. You are one. Your powers flail before us," he said.

"Whoever you are, whatever you do, I'll fight you until I draw my last breath," Lagertha said.

"You know nothing, Wolf Queen. You know how to fight with a sword, but my power comes from King Mephiles's magic. His reign shall make every nation bow before him," Basim said.

"So... you're nothing but pawns? You wish to serve him rather than yourself? You dishonor your own kind. You bring death and destruction to humanity. King Mephiles rules in tyranny and corruption!"

"The humans corrupted this world when they brought death to the dragons and the titans. This new king who sits on the throne of Midland shall bring the humans peace and justice. It has been his goal ever since he defeated King Harald. The bloodline of Lancelot is no more, and a new king brings a new era to this cursed world!"

As he said this, Basim slowly raised his hands to conjure up some dark sorcery before Lagertha and Brant. The Wolf Queen did not expect to stand before somebody who not only appeared as a warrior, but as someone who carried magic with him. The dark magic made every night creature who served Basim to stand behind him and be ready for battle. He was a mighty mortal who could dominate the minds of his opponents, just like King Mephiles. Lagertha knew this kind of dark creature would definitely challenge compared to other monsters she has faced before.

"Brant, I need you to stay right here. If any of these creatures come after you, fight back," Lagertha said. Then Brant took a few steps back as Lagertha was already standing in front of the powerful conjuror to fight him.

The young demon hunter had no clue on what else to do, but he understood he needed to fight the demons to survive.

"What hope do you have against me, Wolf Queen? You and your people should bow before us and request that we give mercy," Basim said.

"I will never serve you nor Mephiles. I will fight him and I will make him beg for his miserable life!" Lagertha shouted.

"There is no peace and no honor in fighting the lord of the earth! You will regret your impulsiveness, and you and your friend will make fine slaves for all eternity!" He shouted. Before he could say anything else, Lagertha raises her longsword and tries to deliver a finishing blow.

But luck was not with her on this night since Basim could fly into the air and disappear behind his army. He did so, and he commanded his army to cut her down before she achieved her victory. All the demons held swords and axes to slice the Wolf Queen to pieces, and they were all confident in winning. Lagertha was fearless against her foes, but Brant was having second thoughts on the demons being controlled by a sorcerer beast. She held onto her longsword and was ready for the moves the night creatures were ready to make against her.

And so, an onslaught between Lagertha and Brant against the demons began as the full moon was in orbit. A few demons thought they would be so lucky to pierce Lagertha's flesh with their weapons. Brant moved only six steps forward to fight some creatures who might come after him. But they mostly wanted a taste of Lagertha's blood since she killed more monsters than Brant ever did. Just by standing there, Brant could understand that Lagertha has matured rapidly and aged like fine wine.

Lagertha went up to one demon and sliced through the creature's arms and legs, and she made the beast's blood and gore visible before the night. Many other demons charge forth to take Lagertha's soul with them as a trophy to their liking and as a warning. The type of warning that would force the humans not to push them to the breaking point because they saw themselves as the superior creatures of the world. Lagertha's longsword continued to slice through her opponents and steal their souls to make her blade more powerful. Brant walked to the battle and saw how strong the Wolf Queen has become; he could never compare himself to her.

Nothing stopped him from gazing at the battle and how short-lived the night creatures became from Lagertha's strength. She was no longer the same girl who appeared before him in his chamber before Loftain fell. She was now a vengeful person who sought to defeat her father and rid his shame from her family name. Lagertha had no desire to return to her days as a youth, but it was hard for her to forget about those good times. Yet her hatred for the demons and her own father became the reason for her never-ending journey of having the blood of the wolves.

The onslaught continued as the leader of this army became a bit surprised at how powerful Lagertha is compared to others. He was not told of how far she will go in defeating the night creatures and ridding them from the world. Her sword clashed with only a few demons, but they were all successful for her since she could cut their weapons down with only a few swipes. Lagertha had no intentions of showing any of the demons mercy after what they did to her family. They all needed to pay and bask in their own blood after killing her mother and making her father succumb to the dark embrace.

Basim held the handle of his blade and would not surrender his armies to a woman he was told about from other demon leaders. He started walking towards her after Lagertha kills the last few demons from that massive group. Lagertha held her sword and defended herself against the powerful beasts until her strength gave in. Basim became both intrigued and fearless about what he might do to Lagertha after killing so many of his fellow companions.