Chapter 50: Love Conquers All

Start from the beginning

The two youths stared deeply into each other's eyes. Both froze when they felt the strong connection between them. It told them that they were meant for each other.

"You look beautiful, Maria," Mateo softly said.

She blushed. "And you look quite handsome." She and Mateo giggled.

Mateo, though, suddenly stumbled on his feet. His head spun.

The priest caught him before he could fall.

Ms. Brook helped her son back into his wheelchair. She double-checked the cannula's prongs to make sure they were still nice and snug in his nostrils.

Evie watched the whole thing with a concerned look on her face. "He's not going to make it to his next birthday," she mumbled under her breath. There was no way. The tuberculosis was just too much for him to handle. It was Mateo's own cancer.

He met Maria's deep brown eyes again. "I'm sorry, Maria," he apologized.

She got down on his level and rested her palm on his thigh. "No, don't be," she said. She glanced at the priest. "Mr. Priest, don't be too long."

"I wasn't planning on it. I know he's tired," he said with a small smile. He cleared his throat and raised his voice. "Today, we are celebrating the love between these two young adults: Anthony Mateo Brook and Maria González." He offered the couple a small, silky pillow. On it were the wedding rings–sparkly, silver bands that shimmered under the autumn sunshine. "Mateo, do you take Maria to be your lawfully wedded wife, to be there for her in sickness and in health, and to live in prosperity?"

"I do," Mateo replied. Lifting his left hand, he took one of the rings off the pillow. He slipped it onto Maria's ring finger. Mateo tightly clutched her hand.

Behind him, Ms. Brook blew her nose into a tissue. She dabbed the sides of her eyes.

The priest next glanced at Maria. "Maria, do you take Mateo to be your lawfully wedded husband, to be there for him in sickness and in health, and to live in prosperity?"

Maria did not look at him. Continuing to stare lovingly at Mateo, she took the second ring off the pillow. "I do. I will never leave his side, not even during this difficult time of his life." She put the ring over Mateo's own ring finger. She then set her flowers down on his lap.

The priest's smile grew. It was time for the best part. "I now declare you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Mateo pushed his dry lips into Maria's. She did not mind the cracks. The kiss was simple, but it felt wonderful. She remembered all the good memories she and Mateo shared during childhood.

Evie and her family clapped and grinned at one another.

Mateo removed his lips from Maria's. He bent over and kissed her baby bump. He then placed his ear on it. "Oh!" he said when he felt a small kick. "She's kicking!"

"She's a very active baby for sure," Maria said.

Mateo stayed on her belly for so long that he started to doze off.

Ms. Brook lugged him back into his wheelchair. The Guardian's Ring on his right ring finger flickered a few times. Ms. Brook gently picked up his hand and examined it. "The ring wants to transform him, but..."

"... he's just so weak," Maria finished.

"Just give it a little more time," the priest explained. "He'll be a fairy before y'all know it."