Epilogue: Miracle of Life

Start from the beginning

"I love her," Mateo choked out.

The obstetrician, who stood off to the side to give them space, felt like crying, too. She was both happy and sad for the new family because she knew Isabella's daddy wouldn't be around much longer. At the same time, she was thrilled to have given him what he wanted most.

Maria patted Isabella's head and said, "She has wings, Mateo."

"She does?"

Maria nodded. "Yes. She's our little fae princess. Honestly, I'm jealous that she took more after you than me," she joked.

Mateo chuckled. "She looks like both of us," he said. He set his palm down on Isabella's belly.

Cooing, she stretched her arms over her head.

Mateo hugged her to his left shoulder, and that was when he saw his daughter's wings. They stretched down the length of her back and blanket. Like a flower pending blooming, they had not yet opened. The wings were oval-shaped, white, and silky.

Mateo sniffed. "She's really a fairy. She's really here."

"She is," Maria giggled, "and she already loves you, babe."

Isabella heard Mateo's voice. With her eyes still closed, she batted his shoulder a few times. She had been waiting a long time to comfort him herself.

Sniffing again, Mateo said, "Te amo, Isabella."

He and his daughter slept together for a good while. Mateo did not want to let her go, and she didn't want to leave him. Every time Maria tried to pull her away from her daddy, the little girl fussed. Eventually, she settled down.

Maria brushed Mateo's bangs out of his face. She took a picture of him and Izzy with her phone. Afterward, Maria pecked his right temple. "It's okay, Mateo," she softly said. "I know you're tired." She rested her hand on top of his. "I'll take care of her, and one day when she's older, she'll see you. Watch over the Paperblank Forest as the Green Guardian. It's where you belong."

With her permission, Mateo let go. He passed away three days later on January 14th, 2022, exactly seven months after his 21st birthday.

Two weeks later

King Benjamin held the funeral at his castle. He gave Mateo a Viking-like burial, because of his plea to become "one with nature" when he passed. Benjamin was eager to grant his request.

Unlike most funeral days, it was not dark and rainy, but sunny. Evie, her family, and Mateo's friends from the Union (including John) followed King Benjamin down to a sparkly lake at the base of his castle. They hiked over small, green hills. The gray tips of the castle pierced the healthy sky.

The lake seemed to go on and on. It fed into a wood that Ben enjoyed exploring during his free time. He and Ms. Brook, with the help of John, set the wooden coffin down on the clear water. It had been decorated with a ring of bittersweet flowers. Engraved in the smooth wood were the words:

Anthony Mateo Brook

June 14th, 2001-January 14th, 2022

The Green Guardian

Ben peered over his shoulder to the mourning guests. He held an unlit torch in his hand. Before he, John, and Ms. Brook pushed the coffin out to the lake's heart, he gave a small speech.

"Today, we are celebrating the short life of Anthony Mateo Brook, the most well-known ranger in all of Pinta Country. Mateo was a fighter. All he wanted was to see his little girl at least once, and he fought until he did. He cared about everybody and put himself at risk to protect his family, friends, and subjects. Pinta Country is blessed to have had such a wonderful ranger like him."