Chapter 18-4

A studio near Asylum had been allocated to the magazine for the shooting. Peter had given me a phone with my new business line to screen important calls and product placement requests for the Khan daughters. I would then pass all the information to Camilia, who would do a second screening. My phone rang constantly. Calls, messages, and emails came in every two seconds.

Aaliyah and Ghita were getting their hair and makeup done by a team of professionals while I answered an email from a big yogurt company that wanted one of the Khan sisters to become the face of the brand.

I walked through the big warehouse where photographers, technical teams, and fashion and beauty professionals met. My new work environment was completely different from the one I had been in with Yeraz. It was a change from the businessmen in black and gray suits I saw all day.

An employee in his thirties, bleached blond with short hair, was gluing on Ghita's false eyelashes. I cleared my throat.

"I spoke with the real estate agent for the sale of your house. He would like to come tomorrow with his team to make the video of the virtual visit for the future buyers."

Ghita opened her eyes and blinked to make sure the lashes were holding.

"Okay. I want you to be there and call me if there's a problem. I will be at my friend Carla's baby shower."

Next to her, Aaliyah asked her pierced, punk-looking hairdresser to add a little more volume to her hair. An assistant with a very polished look and intense blue eyes, almost transparent, arrived with a box full of necklaces.

"Where is Cyliane?" I asked, looking around.

Ghita grunted, "One of the photographers had an NDE and started telling Cyliane about it. She was completely fascinated by the story. Our sister insisted on talking to her and doing an interview for her YouTube channel."

"An NDE?" I repeated.

"Near-death experience," Aaliyah replied, her nose buried in the jewelry box, seemingly unable to choose her accessories.

She turned to her sister.

"The big diamond necklace or the small pearl one?"

Ghita hesitated. Aaliyah then turned to me to ask my opinion. Underneath her pink hair, the hairdresser glanced at the blond makeup artist and the blue-eyed assistant glanced at my sweater. I clutched my notebook and phone to my chest in an attempt to hide it.

I answered in an insecure voice, "You will be minimally dressed in the cover photo. I think your lipstick is really beautiful. It makes your lips look perfect. The makeup is enough. It would be a shame to wear the big diamond necklace. The light should be on your faces.

Satisfied, Ghita and Aaliyah nodded and exchanged a brief smile.

"I won't wear any accessories," Aaliyah finally told the assistant.

I got a sideway glance from her before I went to sit on one of the couches at the other end of the studio, where I continued answering the flood of calls and messages that came in on my phone. These women were in more demand than the President of the United States himself. It was crazy!