Chapter 12-1

The dawn came timidly, casting diffuse beams of light through the curtains. I got up, gathering my messy hair and tying it up. The resentment I felt towards Yeraz hadn't dissipated. Quite the contrary. I got dressed fast to go help my parents at the restaurant. Despite Yeraz's threat last night, there was no way I was going to work this Friday. I didn't want to see him.

Alistair's bowl in the sink indicated that he had already gone for his walk. Bergamote was still sleeping. The weather was nice that morning, so I decided to walk to the restaurant.

My mother was setting the tables. A smile split her face when she saw me. The place was quiet and empty of customers, and there was a peaceful atmosphere inside. My mother greeted me with a warm hug before observing me carefully.

"You look tired."

"I went to bed late."

She questioned me with a curious look, but I preferred to change the subject. I unfolded a tablecloth that smelled like laundry soap and began to cover the tables.

"Is Elio still sleeping?"

"He's getting ready for his follow-up appointment at the hospital."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, his treatment is effective. He's in better shape, even though the side effects are virulent. He's often tired."

My mother, emotional speaking about my brother's condition, sighed deeply and took a moment before getting back to work.

"Carolina and Caleb just broke up. That young man really doesn't know what he wants."

I pretended not to already know the news.

My mother paused for a moment and proposed in a hesitant tone, "Maybe you could stop by and see your cousin to support her through this difficult time? After all, you know what she's going through. I can't bear to see my niece like this."

A wave of anger and dark resentment surged through me. I had to fight with all my might to suppress it. My mother always cared about the well-being of my evil cousins and never really cared about mine. She could have changed everything in the years I had been martyred by my cousins.

I simply replied with a forced smile, "Carolina is a strong woman. She'll get over it."

"You see, Ronney, the problem is that you only think about yourself. Grudges don't get you anywhere. In life, you have to move on and forgive. We all make mistakes."

I stared at her, dumbfounded. Elio's voice interrupted the sensitive discussion, heavy with resentment and unspoken words. My brother kissed my forehead and looked at me, worriedly.

"Is everything okay, sis?"

I nodded and smiled at him sheepishly. He was in good shape, which was the most important thing.

"Do you want me to go with you to the hospital?"

"I don't want you there. You know I prefer to be alone to receive good and bad news."

My brother caressed my cheek with his fingertips. I had so many questions about the treatment, about his illness, about his possible remission, but there were questions we didn't ask for fear of hearing the answer. For him, I could give everything, even my life.

"Did you walk here? Can I drop you somewhere before my appointment?"

"I have to buy paint. I want to paint the walls in my room."

My mother jumped at the opportunity to urge me once again to take care of myself.

"You could stop by this really good hairdresser on Manhattan Avenue, right next to Macy's. You should do something to your hair, Ronney. I hear he's a miracle worker."

"Leave her alone!" my brother intervened. He turned to me and added with undeniable sincerity, "You're pretty as you are."

My mother didn't say anything. Hurrying, she was already setting another table.