Chapter 8-3

With a mechanical gesture, I decided to throw my origami in the kitchen garbage can. Timothy smiled to indicate his joy at my decision.

"You made the right choice," he said, the phone still in his hands. "The others are no match for you."

I adjusted my glasses.

"I'm completely crazy for doing this. I hope I don't regret it."

Timothy was about to say something to me, but Yeraz entered the kitchen at that moment. My good mood instantly vanished.

"Miss Jimenez, my mother wants to see you right away."

I looked at my watch. It wasn't time for my appointment. Had she heard about my intention to quit? Had I made a mistake this week?

"Just a small problem with my sisters," said Yeraz, who read my thoughts.

We looked at each other for a few moments. Knowing that he was nursing his melancholic life with the sound of my voice gave me a totally different image of him than the one I had formed over the weeks. I was staying for him, but he ignored it.

"Very well. I'm leaving now. Timothy, call Isaac, please."

"I need Isaac. He's my driver," Yeraz replied curtly.

He frowned, waiting for me to take back my order and give Timothy another one. Instead, I headed for the kitchen door, repeating my words in a forceful voice while not taking my eyes off Yeraz.

"Call Isaac. You work for me, Timothy."

My murderous glare worked. I left the room, leaving a disoriented Yeraz completely confused by the situation.

Outside, I almost coughed up my lungs because I had been holding my breath for so long. I had never had so much fun in my life. My heart was beating a hundred times an hour, but this time it was enjoyable.

Abigaëlle welcomed me with relief. With a vague gesture, she pointed to the second floor. Shouts were coming from upstairs.

"What's going on?"

The housekeeper, exhausted, replied, "Get there quickly, Miss Jimenez. The girls are killing each other."

Without waiting, I rushed up the stairs without taking the time to get comfortable. I walked briskly down the hallway following the yelling. Camilia came out of a room and waved her hands when she saw me.

"Oh, my God, Ronney. Ghita and Aaliyah are fighting."

Before entering the room where the insults rained, I turned to Camilia.

"What do you want me to do? I don't know how to stop this fight."

We both ducked at the same time to avoid a shoe that was flying through the air. I decided to enter, my back bent, all my senses alert.