Chapter 10-7

"Close the door!" Yeraz told me.

Across the room, I saw his piercing, glistening eyes squint. Already quite shaken by our altercation in the living room a few minutes earlier, I didn't have the courage to fight him now.

"Why do you want to leave?"

"Why do you want me to stay?"

He examined me carefully with an indecipherable look before letting out an exasperated sigh.

"I don't know, Ronney. I don't fucking know!"

When he finally looked away from me, it was like a huge weight was lifted from my stomach.

"You don't need me to screw up your life."

My hoarse voice betrayed my nervousness, my fear of leaving him to his fate. Yeraz, annoyed by my words, ran his hands over his head.

"Listen," I said in a soft voice to avoid upsetting him further. "I need some distance from this job, and you. You don't understand. My life was so simple before I met you. In a few months, you will be the head of Mitaras Almawt, and I will never support your choice."

Yeraz looked at me thoughtfully.

"You've been trying to get me to quit all along. You've been working against me to get me to quit this job. Congratulations, I'm so close to quitting. So why do I get the feeling that you're now refusing to let me leave?"

His gaze nonchalantly moved from my hairline to my red Converses. He shook his head and then the shadow of a smile grazed his features.

"I like your simple side, without any fuss," he admitted in a low voice. "I feel like a better person when I'm with you."

He crossed the room to stand in front of me.

"You have to understand, Ronney. There is nothing on this earth that will make me change my destiny. We are where we need to be. There is no right or wrong way. No one wakes up in the morning thinking about how to screw up their life. I make mistakes like everyone else, and I learn from my mistakes, but so far, no one has been able to prove to me that my path wasn't the right one."

It was his way of telling me how different our worlds were. I was unable to live with death and therefore unable to stay with him any longer. His fingers brushed my face and an electric current ran through me. I felt my body slam against the door. Not wanting to relive the scene on the boat, I pulled myself away before things got out of hand.

"I have to go," I whispered.

Yeraz didn't answer. I grabbed the door handle, avoiding looking at him, and ran away before he could hold me back with orders.

I poked my head into the kitchen; only Timothy was there. When he saw me, he turned his head abruptly, pretending to look at the kitchen appliances. He suspected something, that was for sure.

"Where is Ashley?"

My assistant cleared his throat uncomfortably before answering, "Gone to get the newspapers."

"Okay. Please send me Mr. Khan's schedule to my email address. I will book the suites and restaurants if there is any travel involved. We also need to take care of the recruitment of new bodyguards. Send me the resumes, I will make a first selection."

I searched for any other information I could give him before I left.

"Ronney, it will be okay. I promise."

Timothy smiled at me and I released the pressure in my shoulders.

"I know, but Yeraz is a hyperactive person with a new idea every minute. He's always moving his appointments around."

"We'll manage. It's just for a week, after all."

"Thank you," I said sincerely.

As I walked through the gates of the residence, I felt an inexplicable relief. Before going home, I decided to walk around town and stop for coffee in the city center. I had to forget about Yeraz's magnetizing and penetrating gaze.