Prologue

Sitting on the playground with my two friends, Sophia and Jenyfer, we drew with chalk on the ground.

"Ronney?" a voice called out to me from behind.

I stood up slowly, putting the folds of my skirt back in their place. Emmanuel, a classmate from my last year of elementary school, was standing in front of me. Despite his protruding ears and puffy face, he was the most popular boy in our section.

"Uh... We're playing Truth or Dare with the others over there," he said.

My gaze immediately went over his shoulder and landed on the group, a little further away, who was laughing with no discretion.

"I chose Dare," Emmanuel continued, laughing, "and I have to tell you that I think you are very ugly!"

These violent words slapped me in the face. My brain paused. Paralyzed with shame, I watched Emmanuel skip back to his group of friends. A seed of bitterness planted itself inside me.

A second later, I was in my classroom, empty of students. The floor smelled like bleach. My heart raced and I started packing up my things as quickly as possible. I ran towards the backdoor of the room, but it was locked. I heard their footsteps coming closer. Panicking, I desperately looked for a place to hide. The front door opened to let their laughter into the room. I cowered and covered my face with my hands.

"No, let me go, let me go."

I woke up, sweating, from this nightmare. It was always the same.