• 18 ~ Through Broken Shackles •

Start from the beginning

"Training? Now?"

"Mmhm. It's better we start as soon as possible." She nodded. "The Adventurer's Guild also tests combat abilities. I don't see a weapon on you. Do you know how to use one?"

Y/n shook their head.

"I see..." Noelle began thinking. "I can teach you how to use one if you'd like."

Y/n thought about it. It was better than nothing. "Okay."

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

Y/n found themself with Noelle in the weapon room of the Favonius Headquarters. The amount and variety of weapons left Y/n speechless.

"To find the perfect weapon for you will be a crucial task." Noelle said as she pulled out her claymore.

"Claymores are rather hard to master for most people since they are heavy.

"The same goes with polearms, since they are light and can easily slip out of your hand if you're not careful.

"Bows will require you to be far-sighted and have control on your aim.

"Swords are easy as they're light and easy to carry, but they're sometimes not suited for certain people.

"As for catalysts, you're going to need the help of elemental energy, which can be hard to gather if you don't have a vision."

Y/n remained silent through the entire lecture. "And... how do I know which weapon's the right one for me?"

"It's simple. You'll just need to try each one out until you find your fit." Noelle showed Y/n all the different types of weapons that hung over the wall.

Out of all the weapons Noelle mentioned, the sword seemed to be the easiest to manage.

Y/n didn't even bother looking at the others. "I think I could do well with a sword."

Noelle smiled. "With enough practice, you can take up any weapon you'd like."

"Nah. I'll still take the sword."

"Oh..." Noelle hesitated at Y/n's hurried decision. "Okay."

Truth was... Y/n didn't want to waste too much time here. They needed to be able to earn as quick as possible. It didn't matter what anyone else thought of their decision.

At least... they wanted to convince themself of that because they sure as hell had disappointed Noelle.

As for the maid-knight, she was now nervously fiddling with her fingers on top of her claymore.

"Is something wrong, Noelle?"

"Ah." She looked at Y/n. "It's nothing, I just... I've realised I won't be able to help you master a sword."

"Oh..." Y/n went towards the line of swords. "Is there anyone else who can?"

"Hm... Let me think." Noelle fell silent for a moment.

"There is Mister Albedo... Sir Kaeya... and there was someone from the Adventurer's Guild... Bennett, I believe."

"Albedo, huh.." That was the only person Y/n knew of out of everyone Noelle mentioned.