10~ Hopeful

(Y/n) was wading peacefully in the water, the soft rumbling of the waterfall in the distance. It was a beautiful spot, and Aang was encasing himself in ice and floating on the surface of the water. Sokka had his face scrunched up while he looked at the map, and Toph kicked her feet in the cool water.

Well, (Y/n) was wading peacefully.

"Waterbending bomb! Yeah-ha-ha!" Katara yelled, jumping from the high cliff.

The huge wave from Katara's landing sent (Y/n) flying into the air, crash landing by Sokka. She could've sworn she bounced on impact. The water totally soaked Sokka's dry clothes.

"Sure. 5,000 year old maps from the spirit library. Just splash some water on 'em." Sokka said sarcastically, hanging the now wet maps in the air.

"Sorry." Katara said, before bending the water out of the maps.

Sokka rolled his eyes and laid the map out on the ground. Everyone crouched near it.

"Did you figure out what route we're gonna take?" Aang asked.

"Okay, we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here, and we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here," Sokka was reading the map really carefully, but (Y/n) was struggling to figure out how he was reading it so well. The only clear things she could recognize were the desert, and Ba Sing Se. With all else, she didn't know what he was saying. "It looks like the only passage connecting the South to the North is this sliver of land called "The Serpent's Pass"."

"You sure that's the best way to go?" Toph asked, her arms crossed.

"It's the only way. I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there." Sokka shrugged.

"Sokka!" (Y/n) whispered, slapping his arm lightly. "Shut up about Appa."

"It's okay. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse." Aang said, hugging his knees to his chest.

He might've tried to play it off like he was okay, but the mention of Appa's name was enough to drain his mood, and (Y/n) could see it. But she wasn't about to push further if he didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh, okay. I'm glad you're doing better." Katara said.

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go, no more distractions." Sokka announced, rolling up the map and getting to his feet.

(Y/n) followed suit. She put her dry clothes on, just as some people began to walk up to them.

"Hello there, fellow refugees." A man waved to them, with two women with him. They all wore Earth Kingdom clothes.

Sokka's face turned sour as they approached.

"So are you guys headed to Ba Sing Se too?" Aang asked.

"Sure are. We're trying to get there before my wife Ying has her baby." The man answered, rubbing the protruding belly of his wife.

"Great, we can travel through the Serpent's Pass together." Katara said.

The three people in front of them immediately flinched at the words. "The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route." Ying said.

"Deadly route. Great pick, Sokka." (Y/n) whispered in Sokka's ear.

"Well, we are desperate." Sokka shrugged.

"You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se." The man suggests.