9~ Unspoken Understanding

He was gone.

Appa had been taken.

Aang was angry, and (Y/n) had never seen the small boy be angry for so long. His face was scrunched up as they walked through the desert, looking everywhere for Appa.

"How could you let them take Appa? Why didn't you stop them?" Aang shouted to Toph.

"I couldn't. The library was sinking, you guys were still inside, and—" Toph started.

"You could've come to get us. I could've saved him!"

"I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sandbenders snuck up on me, and there wasn't time for—"

"You just didn't care! You never liked Appa! You wanted him gone." Aang shouted, right in Toph's face.

"Aang, stop. You know she did all she could." (Y/n) put her hand on Aang's shoulder, and he tensed under her touch.

"She saved our lives." Katara added.

"Who's gonna save our lives now? We'll never make it out of here." Sokka said, looking out to the view of sand dunes.

"That's all any of you guys care about; yourselves. You don't care whether Appa is okay or not." Aang yelled, walking away from the group to sit in the sand.

"We're all concerned, but we can't afford to be fighting now." Katara explained.

"I'm going after Appa." Aang announced, snapping his glider open and taking off.

"Aang, wait!" (Y/n) yelled after him.

He didn't respond, whether he heard (Y/n) call after him or not.

(Y/n) sighed. "Well, we better start walking. We have to get that information about the solar eclipse to Ba Sing Se."

They started to walk, with (Y/n) leading the group, and everyone else following close behind her. She didn't know where she was going, but she followed in the general direction that Aang flew off in.

"You think if we dig out that giant owl, he'll give us a ride?" Sokka asked.

"You can go back and find out." (Y/n) looked back to him.

"Eh, i'm good."

The sun didn't let up at all. The sun's blistering heat made them all red in the face, and had them sweating in places they didn't think is was possible to sweat.

It was worse than the Fire Nation in the summer.

The sand was hot, and heat drifted upwards from it. There was no escape, not a cloud in the sky, not any chance of getting some shade.

(Y/n) heard a grunt from behind her.

"Can't you watch where you're—"

"No."

"Right. Sorry." Sokka apologized.

"Come on, guys, we've got to stick together." Katara says.

"If I sweat any more, I don't think sticking together will be a problem." Sokka says, trying to peel himself away from Toph.

Toph shoved him off of her, and he squeals. "Katara, can I have some water?"

"Okay, but we've gotta try to conserve it." Katara bends some water from the container on her hip, giving a small amount to everyone.

The water was warm, but it was refreshing in (Y/n)'s dry mouth.

"We're drinking your bending water?" Sokka smacks his lips. "You used this on the swamp guy!"