Part 16

AN: all mistakes are my own and the devil dyslexia xx
WarningS: talk of suicide/abuse, shouting, angst.
Thank you to all for your continued support and patience with uploads. Xx

15.

Megan

Tony paces in front of his high tech holo screens, letting the buildings AI run diagnostic after diagnostic trying to figure out how Alex Parsons had overridden the system to get it to affect the lights, the screens and how potentially a drone or a person was able to get through the outer security and close enough to the building to take pictures of me and Nat. She's not here now, she took the quintet to DC to find the boys.

Steve wouldn't answer his phone, Bucky didn't answer his phone and neither did Sam.

I'm sitting on the desk behind Tony biting my nails, a Stark Industries mobile phone in my hand doing a round robin of the boys numbers. Steve, then Bucky, then Sam.

As I'm about to try Sam's number again for the thousandth time it rings. "Hello?" The panic is evident in my voice.

"It's me..."

I heave a massive sigh at the sound of his voice feeling some of he tension leaves me. "Oh my God Bucky are you guys ok?" Tony turns to me expectantly.

"Yeah, I promise. There was an explosion in one of the buildings nearby, then someone set off an EMP, all coms, everything etc were down, I'm on Nat's phone. Listen we're safe I promise, but we're helping fire and rescue right now."

I cut him off. "No you need to come back, it's not safe, please!" I don't care about anything else right now, I just need to know they are all safe. I mouth at Tony 'they're ok.' And he smiles nodding, turning back to his screens, tapping and swiping with a frustrated air about him.

"We can't just leave. I promise I'm ok, Steve is absolutely fine, Sam is fine."

"Steve's ok? Neither of you are hurt?"

I can hear the smile in his voice when he speaks again. "Baby I promise, we're good. He's in full blown Cap mode and it's all good. Nat told me what happened. You alright?"

"I'm scared that he's right here and ...I would never know." I walk out of the lab and go towards the kitchen a little.

"Your safe there, listen even if he was there, he can't get in the building. Go to my room, you know what's under the bed, take it and stay with Tony. Ok?"

I nod. "Yeah ok, I'll go get it now."

"Good girl." His voice resonates through me even over the phone and I smile involuntarily at what he's just said. "Remember what I said to you?"

I think for a second confused and then I remember our conversation a little while ago. "Fight, run, survive and you'll always come for me."

I hear him sigh. "Damn straight Baby. No matter the cost, me and the big guy, we'll always come for you."

"Bucky I..."

"It's ok, please try not to worry, we'll be anther hour, two tops and then we'll be back and we're gonna have a little holiday to Wakanda, so be dressed and ready to go ok?"

"Ok."

I can hear him hesitate, like he wants to say something more but can't place or think of the right words, then he huffs. "We won't be long Baby I promise." Then the line clicks and he's gone.

It took me a moment for the brain fog to clear, for everything to clear. I did this, I put them in danger. Again.

Did Parsons really blow up a building to get my attention? If they are helping with fire and rescue, how many people are injured or dead...because of me? Jesus Megan how many more people are gonna have to die before you end this. I can't deal with that, that's selfish but, it's also not fair. And Parsons knows it. He knows that I would hate the idea of someone being hurt because of me. Unfortunately he knows me too well.