Part 6

An: all mistakes are my own. What will the boys do it they loose this girl?

6.

General POV

Steve raced back up the stairs Nat close on his heels, he had to talk to Tony. "What did you mean about her background check?" He had hated letting her go, he wished that he could have stopped her somehow, but he knew that he had no right to do that. He wanted to help her, he wanted to keep her safe.

"It was faked, it was damn good, but fake if I had to guess I would say it had been put together by an official source, government even."

They headed for the main office and Bucky was the first to greet him. "Where is she?"

"She took off, I couldn't stop her, I think she's gonna run."

Nat rolled her eyes. "Definitely gave off a run away vibe when she pretty much said goodbye I'll never see you again."

Bucky threw his arms up in the air. "What the hell is going on?" He looked to Steve who looked just as worried. "Who even is she?"

"I'm working on that." Tony said from behind a tech screen. His focus purely on typing and he was frowning. "Shit. Friday run decryption."

'RUNNING BOSS.' They all waited a moment or two and Friday answered. 'DECRYPTION FAILED BOSS, ALL FILES ALLOCATED TO MEGAN JANE MASTERS IN PULIC DOMAIN OR ON ANY GOVERNMENT OR INTERNATIONAL DATABASE ARE SEALED BY THE HIGHEST SECURITY LEVEL OF MI5. I CAN'T BREAK IT BOSS.'

"Well I for one don't believe in coincidences. There is no way that she turns up here and it's not connected to us."

Bucky shrugged. "I don't think it is. Rumlow was mouthing off right up until he got in that chopper. Laughing at us. Said we couldn't protect her, that she was 'his' whoever he is and that he'd come for her, that he'd go through us. I said who Hydra and he laughed and said not every boss he had was Hydra." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Who else does Rumlow work for?"

At that moment Maria hill came into the room looking flustered. "The chopper has just gone down." The all looked at her in shock. "I have co-ordinates, local law enforcement are on their way to the scene with medics not far behind, there was a whether team or something in the area and they tried to offer help, it looks like there are no survivors."

Steve reacted first. "Rumlow?"

She shook her head. "I've no idea, there isn't a body count yet. It could be orchestrated and he's loose."

Tony pointed at Steve and Bucky. "You two get the girl, the rest of us will tackle Rumlow. Go."

***

Megan POV

Anyone who rides a motorcycle will know that the horn on a bike is useless, it's pointless and this was currently running through my head as I weaved through heavy traffic as carefully and as quickly as I dare. I didn't want to hit any cars, but I have to get through. Earned myself a few hand gestures and some swearing, but it was worth it. It took twice as long to get back to the apartment than I wanted and I'm desperate now.

Running into the building and in through the front door, I quickly scanned around quickly and can't see anything disturbed. Quickly dump my helmet and gloves, knowing I didn't have much time, I head straight for the bedroom and began getting out a few essentials ramming them into my backpack. Underwear and one change of clothes.

Rumlow had seen me, he knew and he said that the Monster knew where I was, that he knew. If Rumlow was here in New York then the Monster must be here a as well. He must be close. God he must have been nearly on top of me all along. I turned around in the bedroom and the room spins, turning my stomach over and making me dizzy.