Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“Is she awake?” I heard a voice, sounding far away.

I’ve been stuck here, for so long, unable to move, to beg for help. I would will my limbs to move, to twitch even, to let someone know that I’m still here.

When I could hear, it sounded so far away, and like my head was stuck inside a bubble, where everything sounded echoed.

I tried so hard to open my mouth, to speak, but to no avail.

Nothing.

Where am I?

What did I do to get in here?

…. This horrible place…

“Can she hear me?” The same voice spoke.

Yes! Yes I can! Help me!

“Why isn’t she responding?”

Because I can’t! Why can’t I?

“Oh.” The voice sighed.

Slowly, painfully slowly, the sounds around me got louder. Like the bubble around my head popped.

Beep… beep… beep…

There was a never ending mumble of other voices, and I don’t know how to explain it, but everything sounded so… bright.

I could vaguely see lights on the other side of my eyelids. I wanted to know what was there, creating the blinding light, but no matter what I did, I couldn’t open my eyes.

It was hopeless.

Taylor.

Where was he?

Was he alright?

Oh. He doesn’t care about me. He doesn’t know who I am. So why keep breathing? He was the sole reason I would bother to get up in the morning, the reason to keep going.

So what now?

How am I supposed to just forget him, and move on, when he impacted me so much?

I love him.

He sacrificed himself to save me.

I remembered looking into his eyes, the last time I saw him. The emptiness, it scared me. There was no light in his eyes, no never ending curiosity and hope.

Hope.

I need to get through this.

For Taylor.

He would want me to survive whatever I’m in right now.

I saw a speechless face in front of me.

Ariana.

“Mirabell?” She asked, reaching a shaking hand towards me.

If I can see her… My eyes must have opened!

I did it!

“Can you hear me?”

I ignored the excruciating pain radiating from my whole body, and the glass like scratches forming in my throat, and spoke.

“Taylor.”