Totally Normal (Teen Fiction)

Começar do início

"Oh, look at this! I got it in the mail yesterday!" Jackie said.

She tugged her backpack forward and rifled through it until she found the half-sheet of paper. She whipped it out and held it up like it was one of her Emmys.

"It's a class schedule! A real one, not one made by the prop department, these teachers are actual teachers."

Her mother's distress over Jackie's appearance, faded a bit in light of her daughter's ridiculous excitement over a class schedule. But Jackie didn't think it was ridiculous, this piece of paper was like one of millions other kids got for school. Jackie would be like all of them.

"You're really going through with it then," her mother said.

"One year out of the seventeen I've experienced where I get be normal for once?" Jackie tapped her chin in thought. "Yes, I think I am."

Her mother smiled amusedly. "Very well then. What personality is attached to your outfit?"

"I was thinking Nerdy girl Abby from season fifteen. You know quiet, bit shy and kept to herself."

Jackie saw how this piqued her mother's interest. After all most of her job had revolved around Jackie's acting career.

"Seems like a challenge for you," her mother said. "I remember you making friends with the Italian interviewers when you were eight."

Jackie shrugged. "It will be good to have a challenge. It can be a real immersive character study opportunity." 

Jackie walked to the back door, pausing at a sleek, narrow cupboard. She opened it and selected a set of car keys that hung amongst five others. As Jackie opened the door to the six-car garage, her mother followed her, leaning against the doorway. 

"By the way," her mother said. "Do you know what that is?"

She pointed to a compact car with faded paint and years out of style.

"It's called a Toyota," Jackie said, giddy.

"I'm aware but why is it in our garage?"

"I can't show up to Vally High School in my Mercedes. It would stand out. So I bought this! It's not even new, it's pre-owned."

"But it's clean, right?"

Jackie laughed, heading to the car that stood out amongst the five other sleek vehicles. "It's cleaned. I'm off! I don't want to be late on my first day."

"Then I'll say something I never have. Have a good day at school, honey. Make good choices."

"This is the best choice!"

The car made more noise than Jackie thought a car could make as she turned it on. But somehow even this detail excited her. She'd fit right in. She backed the car out of the garage and down the winding front lane to the house gates. Their security guard eyed Jackie's new ride but only waved goodbye to her.

As Jackie turned into the high school parking lot, she paused. To her, it felt like an establishing shot to a cut scene in the middle of the school hallway. But there was no cut, she had to pull into the lot and find an open spot. What wonders!

She turned the key and the engine quieted with a small rattle. Taking a deep breath, she peered at her reflection in the rear view mirror. She narrowed her eyes.

"You are Jackie Harlow, super average girl, shy, quiet, unimportant."

With a nod, she climbed out, sliding her arms through her backpack straps. She gazed around at the other students that stepped out of their cars, greeted their friends, walked while texting, and wanted to savor it all. These weren't extras on set, they were actual students. Knowing she couldn't gawk, she hooked her hands around her backpack straps and walked towards the front steps.