T h e T h i r s t

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Behind the smiles
Our screams were louder
With every new breath
The air was getting crowder"

"Sit here with.."

"- I and my family owe a lot to you Nicole. You never showed any objections to us until now." I said while looking at the ceiling over my bed where a huge chandelier was hanging like a crystal piece.

He sat on the corner of my bed as I told him to.
"Oh no! Please don't say that. In fact, I owe sir Augustine a lot. A lot more than anyone can imagine. He really is a saviour to me."

Nicole replied covering the right side of his face with the palm of his right hand.

"So, you still remember..?" I asked.

"I do. I remember everything. Everything that I have gone through. Everything that the beast did to me! To my mother..." His eyes were down, the tone of his voice was calm, yet I could sense the disgust and pain in his voice.

"I can't imagine what would have happened to me if you and sir Augustine weren't there.."
• • • • • • •

The first day of summer break of the year when I was still in the 8th grade, I had gone into the woods with dad, like every other year.

Unfortunately, luck didn't favor us, so it ended up raining heavily on our way. News about floods and damages that the rain caused were everywhere. So, for safety purposes, we decided to head back.

It was already late at night and we were driving on a highway. I still remember how dark and lonely the road was. The world seemed like it had fallen asleep.

While peeking outside from the car window, I saw someone running out of the woods speedily! My heart dropped! I screamed to dad, assuming I had seen a ghost. Although, instead of ignoring me and continuing his drive, dad stopped the car and took his umbrella to head out.

I was wondering why would he do that in the first place. It was pitch black outside, save for the light being emitted from the car's headlights.

I couldn't sit back alone, thinking a ghost will choke me from behind, so I also ran out to dad.

It was then we found a little kid around 12 years old, all drenched with water and covered in dirt. He seemed to be quite scared, but wasn't crying or talking at all. He was completely silent and almost emotionless...
• • • • • •

"It was then you and sir Augustine took me in and gave me shelter, warm clothes, food to eat.."
Nicole was reminiscing about the past and seemed airheaded and distracted for that moment.
"The dinner I had that night at your palace-like home, was the best dinner I have ever had in my 12 years of life. Your mom, Madam Augustine took care of me like her own child. Gave me a name, knowledge and encouragement to keep growing.
If it wasn't for you all, I would've been a dead body that night floating in the water..." I cut him off almost immediately.

"Don't say that Nicole! It was your destiny! Your destiny brought you here to us." I assured him. Because everything is already written in one's destiny.

Like mine.

"I still wonder what happened to my mother..." He added with a look of wistfulness on his face.

"My dad though...i still wonder why he wasn't like other dads and why we didn't have a normal family. I saw my mother crying and washing the wounds that were inflicted on her by that beast! That night he also came at me like a wild dog." He said and paused as he shut his eyes for a moment, as if reliving that night all over again.

"I can't even blame drugs now! He was always a dog! A wild dog! A beast! I saw his bloodlusted eyes as he began ripping my mother into pieces that night! I couldn't do anything! Nothing!
I just heard mother saying run and I did so. Like an obedient child, I ran. I ran for my life leaving my mother's life behind. I saw her helpless smile from her bloody and shaky mouth...
She was relieved to see me moves on. So I kept moving on...still." His eyes were teary but he didn't let a drop fall from it.

"Did.. you ever try to find out what happened to him..?" I asked hesitantly.

"I tried. I never did find that beast.. I want him to feel the pain that we felt everyday, every second, in every breath!" His words were implying his frustration and anger. His eyes were wide open.

This is the thirst for revenge. The revenge that the people want... from me.

ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴᴛᴇʀ

Ps/. I dedicate this chapter to my friend, who was very special to me..
Thanks for being my inspiration and encouraging me.
Although we are strangers now, hope you achieve the greatest things in your life!
Also you're free from the drama 😄

Thanks for reading! I'd like to know are you interested in Nicole's life??
Take care
Bye bye ❄️❄️