T h e L a w s

CHAPTER FOUR

"The chamber was filled
With poison and sin
Can you see my wild reflection
On your bare skin?"

"

And.."

I stopped Nicole as I was a little upset. Things weren't supposed to happen this way.

"You should inform me before bringing someone here right?"

"Yes ma'am I know that but he..." He said and paused, as if he wasn't sure of what he's going to say. Then he continued. "His father used to know your father well and they have some legal rights in here."

"Legal rights? What do you mean?" A sudden fear ran through my veins.

I dumped everything I was doing and got up, ignoring Nicole as I rushed off.
We both came to the office room where he was sitting on a chair. I found my eyes seeking for his gaze as I stood behind him.

"We meet again." With a warm smile, he said and turned around to meet my stare with his.

"You? Mr. Asfour?" I said in surprise!

"You remember me, I guess this time there's no problem in talking with you right?" He asked while standing up. Still the smile laying on his lips.

"Ye- yeah. What brought you here?" I was still feeling nervous as I asked.

"As I said before, I want to be your student" He said, unshaken and completely unfazed as he stared at me.

Again? What made him think that I would teach him anyway?

He didnt say another word as he awaited my reply. I never broke my gaze from him as I pondered on his words. Finally, I took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of my nose while exhaling slowly. I was getting tired of all these unknown things.

I walked past him and made my way behind my table, running my cold fingers over the slightly dusty glass top.
"Please sit. My manager said your father used to know my father and you have some legal rights here? What's the meaning of this?" I asked while sitting on my royal like huge chair.
It's folded with black leather and golden patterns in the upper side, as well as behind.

"Well I never intended to say all that, I mean...about the past, but your manager won't let me see you, so I had to mention them." He said and looked straight at me. My face was expressionless as i raised an eyebrow at him, showing my obvious confusion at what he said and urging him to continue.

"Allow me to explain briefly." He said and without waiting for my verbal permission, started narrating.

"My father, Yeasfil Asfour and your father were friends at that time, as much as I know they were quite close and your father, may his pure soul rest in peace, he handed over the management of this land we're standing on to my father's company. From my mother, I learned that both your and my father wanted to build a commercial building here, but after you were born, your father decided he didn't want to do that project because he wanted to build a house here for his precious daughter. Back then, both companies didn't agree with this sudden decision. In the course of the scuffle that had ensued, your father came down with a critical heart condition that claimed his life." He sighed and inhaled deeply before he continued.

"My father was in so much grief for his best friend's death and so he stopped the project and left the land in your mother's hand. Then, by your mother's decision this whole land got divided into two pieces for two owners; your mother and my father. That's all."

He stopped, and looked at my face waiting for my words. But I was silent.

After small thought, I spoke.
"Your father?" I asked as I wanted to know if he's alive or not.

"He passed away 3 years ago, while traveling for business. Their plane crashed. We couldn't save him." He said and I could hear his voice tremble subtly. I remember the news of a plane crash; exactly 3 years ago. Hundreds of people died. So it was this.

"So, apparently we are both the owners of this land?" I asked with a great shock, but I tried not to show it as I kept my calm.

This place, this house I built with my love and my memories, do I have to break them all down? What if he asks to break this house? What if he wants the rights? I can't do anything about this. This was so new for me, I wish mum was here and I could ask her. I wish I knew all of this before.

"Hello..?"

Everything seems so blurry in front of my eyes. . .

♱ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴᴛᴇʀ♱