Epilogue

"Percy?" Jason's voice shook. "Where's Eliza?"

Percy couldn't meet his friend's gaze.

"Where is she?!" Jason grabbed the son of Poseidon's shoulders, squeezing a little too hard.

Percy finally looked up, his eyes a little watery. "She stayed behind so that we could get away."

Jason stumbled back a step, his legs threatening to buckle beneath his weight. "No. No. No!" A lightening bolt shot from his body and struck the ceiling, scorching the bricks. He slumped to the floor. "She was right. I couldn't keep her safe."

Piper knelt beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You did everything you could."

"And it wasn't enough." He pushed himself to his feet. "She's gone." He turned and walked out of the room.
* * *
Eliza panted as Tartarus' form melted into the ground. They may not have defeated him, but they had won this fight. She looked from Bob to Damasen. "We did it."

Damasen examined the ground. "He'll be back for us."

Eliza met the giant's gaze. "Then we'd better not be here."

Damasen gave a slight bow. "Perhaps I'll see you again."

Eliza shrugged. "I wouldn't count on it."

Damasen sighed. "Well then, good luck." He turned and walked away, disappearing into the shadows.

Bob surveyed the now empty battlefield. "Now what?"

"Now," Eliza sighed. "We survive. And we keep looking for a way out of here."

Bob met her gaze. "Together?"

"If you want."

Bob nodded.

Eliza returned the gesture. "Alright then, let's go on another adventure."

They started across the battlefield, quickly disappearing among the shadows and stones.