Chapter 20

"So Matt leaves tonight?"

"Yeah, I am going home to bring him to the airport then he heads to meet the rest of the team and they travel all together to Tokyo tomorrow morning." Cara and Grant are walking me to my car trying to carefully talk about Matt with me. I have been a bit emotional all day knowing he leaves tonight and I won't be joining him for another week. In retrospect a week apart isn't that bad but this is such an incredible experience for him I don't even want to miss a single second of it.

"Well after you drop him off if you want to join me and gremlin at the gym we will be there until late."

"Gym? Cara you said we were hanging out with Jim!" Grant is frantic and I actually laugh. I love how my coworkers alway manage to distract me when I am upset, especially Grant. After my birthday we got closer and I have been opening up to him a little in the following months about my relationship issues with Matt. He is actually a great listener and though it is rare when he does offer advice it is always great advice.

"No I said we were hanging out at the gym." She rolls her eyes at him but I know she's lying. No way Grant misheard and she knows that as well as anyone.

"No! No fucking way Cara! I enjoy living!"

I giggle again as Cara tries to grab for Grant who tries to make a run for it across the parking lot. "Grant relax," I reassure him, "I will join you guys around 7:30 when I return from the airport."

"See! Now go home Grantie and change. I am picking you up at 6!"

Grant turns to me in a complete panic as Cara unlocks her car and gets in. I throw my arm over his shoulder and force him to keep walking before the reality sets in that he is about to get his booty beat. "Well I guess my life was good while it lasted."

"Dramatic," I scold while pushing him along.

"How has he been? You haven't mentioned anything since the fight last week."

Like I said I have been opening up to Grant lately. I don't think my relationship is in trouble, I mostly just think this is a stressful time we are both trying to get through. I can't imagine Matt's current stress and even though he has been distant and especially since my birthday we've been fighting a lot I know we will make it in the end. All of this is the exact reason I don't want to talk to any of our friends about our issues lately because they will try to fix things. I don't need someone to do anything, I just sometimes need to vent.

"Um he hasn't really been around he's been so busy training, packing, and doing press. Even for a not popular sport everyone wants a few seconds with him because he is on an Olympic team."

"Well I am sure once the Olympics are over you can talk to him openly and you guys can work through the issues and get everything settled before the wedding."

"Definitely. Thank you Grant, seriously it means a lot." I give Grant a hug as we reach our cars next to each other.

"Of course Sydney, I will see you later at the gym. Tell Matt I said good luck."

We both drive off and I play music to distract myself. I am feeling really weird today but I think a part of that might also be the idea of being home alone for an entire week. I leave for Tokyo next Saturday so I am really not alone that long but Matt has never been gone for more than 3 nights so I am sure that is the reason I am so worried about today.

When I get home I park in my normal spot and walk inside. Malcolm doesn't greet me at the door like he normally does but Matt is probably getting his last of his cuddles in since they will be apart for a whole month.

The house has a weird heaviness I feel the second I walk in and I glance around the house. Something feels off but I can't quite place it. Walking upstairs my chest feels tight but I take deep breaths and slap on a smile slipping into my role as fearless supportive fiance.