Chapter 4

"Matt," I yell out into the darkness. I feel around for the light switch but I can't find it.

"Matt," I try again, an anxious feeling taking over. Where is he? Why isn't he answering? Where is Malcolm?

I finally find the light switch and flick it on. The lights are bright at first, too bright, and I shield my eyes as they slowly adjust. I blink a few times and look around in confusion. The apartment seems different, like something isn't right. I ignore the weird nagging feeling and walk toward the kitchen to get a glass of water.

In the kitchen I grab a glass of water and take a long drink. I feel better but still not right. Maybe I should call Matt, he always knows how to calm me down. I pull my phone from my pocket and click his contact. Straight to voicemail.

"Where is he," I say to no one in particular as I walk back into the living room. Our apartment in D.C. is beautiful, thanks to Matt's parents of course. When I accepted the job offer with Homeland Security in Washington D.C. they were thrilled. Nick has been wanting to expand his restaurants outside of New York and quickly began putting in motion the plan to open one here. The deal was Matt helped oversee the restaurant and in return they bought us this apartment. It is great being back in the city I grew up in.

I go to switch the T.V. on in the living room, hoping some noise will help this place feel less eerie and notice the picture frames are all empty? What the hell where are all our pictures? I grab my phone again and try Matt. Straight to voicemail again. Now the panic is starting to set it and I question if I should call my dad. Relax Sydney you're working yourself up. I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this all.

I am pacing around the room trying to get myself in check when the sound of the front door opening startles me. "Matt there you ar-"

Matt is standing in front of me looking at me with a mix of sadness and annoyance. There is a girl slightly behind him holding onto his arm. "What is going on," I squeak out.

"Sydney," Matt sighs, taking a step closer. Instinctually I take a step back.

"Who is she Matt," I ask my voice raising an octave while I try to keep my emotions neutral. What is going on? Why are all our pictures gone? Why is he with that girl?

"Sydney," he sighs again. "Why are you here?"

"I live here, why is she here," I yell, failing to keep my emotions in check.

The girl looks at me before looking at Matt. "I will give you some privacy babe, I'll meet you upstairs."

Babe? Upstairs? What the fuck, get out of our house lady! Matt nods and gives her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Ok babe get into bed and I will bring up snacks for you and the little one." He softly caresses her stomach as I watch in horror.

"Matt," I whimper as she walks up the stairs.

"I think it is time for you to go, Sydney." His voice is gentle but firm. I can't move as he shakes his head and begins to walk into the kitchen.

"Who is she," I whisper, barely keeping my tears from falling.

"My wife," he says as if it is obvious. "Sydney we broke up years ago."

My entire world shatters in an instant. Broke up? We didn't break up, we couldn't. We are engaged! "No, we are engaged."

"Were engaged, that was years ago. We were so young back then but we graduated and got out into the real world and realized we didn't work. I am sorry we didn't work out Sydney but you need to move on, please. Now if you excuse me," Matt walks past me and begins walking up the stairs away from me. I try to run after him but every step I take he gets farther away.