Healing Forward

-- -ㅡㅡ -ㅡ --- ㅡ ---- - ㅡㅡㅡ ㅡ- - -ㅡㅡ ---- ㅡㅡㅡ -ㅡ-- --ㅡ- ㅡ ㅡ--- --ㅡ ㅡ
It had been six years since he left and now, he was back. But not because he wanted to. Hurt physically, mentally, and emotionally, he had no choice but to fly back in South Korea after the team management and coaches discussed his early retirement. The injuries he sustained during his last three tournaments sent him straight from the playing field to the operating room. And he was told that his life would be in serious danger if he was to continue his football career.

"Cho Seungyoun-nim?" One nurse called from the open door.

His parents rolled his wheelchair towards the door as he just idly sat there, dazed. For him, his life was basically over. Everything had turned gray and bleak. And nothing will make him happy ever again.

"You said it's almost a year since his surgery. But he's still not able to move? Is he doing any physical therapy?" the doctor asked after checking the file again.

"Yes. We have been doing what the therapist said..." his mother answered belatedly, anxiously looking at her husband.

"I think, he just don't have the will anymore," the father said after a deep breath. "My son's dream... was just starting off when this happend."

Seungyoun had been avoiding the gaze of the familiar female sitting in front of him. In the several months that he had been back, today was the worst possible day. There were a lot of physical therapists and nurses out there but his parents just had to hire her.

"I swear I didn't know you'd be my patient," she said impassively. "If you don't want me, you should tell me now so we won't waste each other's time."

She eyed him from her seat, waiting for him to speak. His parents left after Seungyoun asked them to give them some alone time. Hence, he was the only one who can answer her.

"It's alright. I believe you," he said. "I'm just surprised to meet you like this."

"I can say the same thing. But since you're now my employer, that's none of my business."

The glimmer in her eyes was different from what he remembered although she looked the same. Even the perfume she wore was the same. The faint scent of donuts still lingered around her.

"Then, I'll be in your care, Hwajin-ssi."

"Likewise."

He remained silent as Hwajin stood beside him, assessing his muscles with a massage. She began stretching his arms and legs, checking his joints in the process. The list of medicines he had to take was also taken into consideration.

"Seungyoun-ssi," Hwajin said, stopping a few steps in front of him. "Your body is trying to survive and keep you alive and working. You need to have the same determination so you can return to what you do best."

"There is nothing for me to return to," he bit back.

"I mean being a normal and capable person who is not a burden to their parents." She scowled and raised a brow at him. "Don't tell me you're planning to spend the rest of your life doing nothing."

"You won't understㅡ"

"Yes. I won't." Hwajin was right at his face in an instant. "Because someone told me before that I shouldn't be like that and that I should always look at the brighter side of things and make it work the best I could."

Seungyoun didn't retaliate and just avoided her glare. That episode in their lives was in the past. Meanwhile, Hwajin kept her eyes on him. She circled around and unlocked his wheelchair, pushing him out the house to the garden.