Chapter 30

Harry

It had been two weeks since Zayn’s first date with Lyv and they had gone for a few more. They weren’t exactly those fancy dates. One day, they went to a park, the other to the mall, another day it was just aimless walking around the block. He always knew her as Eyrie’s friend but, now he knew her in a different way. He seemed to like spending time with her and according to him, her ability to talk non-stop was not a problem at all. After all, he had dealt with Niall for as long as any of us can remember.

On the other hand, Niall and Eyrie spent most of their time in either one of their houses or with us. I don’t know if it is possible but, I could bet they were growing cuter with every passing day. I felt like there were too many couples around me, though. Four out of eight in our group were already together and I was secretly dying on the inside to know why Louis was the way he was with me.

I was getting ready in my room, waiting for Liam to pick me up. We were going to our usual cafe today. It had been a while since we went there. I had almost started to miss the atmosphere. We were all dying to eat something good today and what place would be better than that? The weather was good and I remember Eyrie wanting to ride her bike. Bold of her to assume that Zayn would let her do that after the last time.

“Zayn that was once!” she exclaimed.

“Yeah and I don’t want a twice so, shut up and wait for me.” is all he said in response. We all knew very well by now that no matter what, she would never go against what Zayn had said.

When my phone rang, I quickly picked it up. My mother was sleeping in the room nearby and there was no way that I was going to let her wake up because of me. Even though I failed to look at the caller ID, I pretty much knew who it was.

“I’m here, Harry.” Liam said and I nodded before hanging up. It was stupid since obviously he couldn’t see me but, I continued, anyway. I went downstairs and put my shoes on. I carefully opened the door and closed it behind me, trying to be as silent as possible. I had already left a note for my mum on the kitchen table so, she would know where I had gone to.

When I walked over to the car, I felt my chest tightening and my breathing going unsteady. Liam was not alone, on contrary to what I had expected. There he was! He was sitting on the passenger seat. The same blue-eyed boy who could make my heart stop or beat a thousand times faster. However right now, it just felt as if I didn’t even have a heart, any more. I slowly walked the remaining distance and opened the door to get into the backseat.

“Hi, Harry.” he smiled. He freaking smiled. We had met plenty of times after Zayn’s birthday but, not once did we talk about the sudden kiss or any other gestures of his. Sometimes, he would smile at me and sometimes, he would just say hi and continue with the others.

It was impossible to ignore his increasing popularity at school. Everyone was extremely impressed by him replacing the old captain of the football team. Everyone, whether his classmate or junior, surrounded him at breaks between classes and talked to him about anything. It felt like every single person in the school was starting to like him and dying to talk to him. Well, except one.

His name was Jeff. He was older than Louis and had been in the football team ever since he had stepped into the school. Everyone was expecting him to be the next captain considering the circumstances and when it was announced otherwise, he threw a pretty bad tantrum. Secretly, I was glad that Louis was not around the boy at the time or else, the consequences could have been pretty scary. He still scared me, though. I noticed the way he would eye Louis in the hallways or how he would mumble incoherent words in anger.

“You there?” Louis chuckled and I snapped back to reality.

“Y-yeah. Hi.” I answered. He simply nodded and turned his head to look forward. Liam smiled at me and started to drive.