Chapter 32: The Abyss

Back in Time

Percy POV

In my dreams, I was sent somewhere else. The Void. It looked exactly the same, but someone else was there.

Annabeth.

I inhaled sharply as her gray eyes met mine.

It was our first encounter ever since the day I left her in our former apartment in New Rome.

I didn't know what to feel or say. Was I to be mad, or guilty for leaving her with no contact after years, or that I haven't even told her that I've forgiven her? I mean, sure, she's Annabeth. I helped her out and showed her the vision of the Abyss. To show her what was to come. I didn't realize that she would talk to me, however.

I remember that years ago, her eyes would bring a smile to my face. Her smile would put me at ease. Her hugs and kisses would make me feel complete. But even with her, I always knew that I felt something missing. And only years after our breakup had I realized that it wasn't her fault for cheating, as we would never be satisfied with each other. Only enough as friends.

Was it immature of me to feel like I didn't want to talk to her? I wasn't ready, not for this. I couldn't be ready. Every time I thought of Annabeth I thought of making things right again, to make amends. But all of my courage suddenly disappeared, all of the things I've wanted to say to her had been forgotten in this moment.

A silence passed over us, just comfortable taking each other in.

But after a minute, it wasn't enough.

"Hey Percy... How are you doing?"

I laughed, hoarse and rattled. "Well, other than trying to get back, I'm doing good. I've made friends, and Blackjack is here with me. I've also made a raven friend."

Annabeth offered a small, sad smile. "We miss you. All of us."

I shook my head. "You've been doing great without me. You're strong, Annabeth. You really are."

"You too, Percy." Then she laughed. It was a little laugh, but she was clearly happy. "You have no idea how much I've missed you personally. I regret it to this day and I want to apologize. I want to make amends, Percy. I want you to know that I want to start over." Her eyes shone with hope. "If that's okay with you. I don't expect you to forgive me," she added quietly.

"I'm sorry too, Annabeth. I've had a lot of things I've been preparing to say to you, but it's all gone. I'm improvising. And I promise you that we can start over and be friends if you'd like. If I'm being honest, I knew you weren't satisfied with me and I wasn't with you. It's how it ended, and you had a right to break up with me. Maybe not in that manner... but it doesn't make you any different. You're still the same, Annabeth. Clever and brave."

Annabeth smiled.

A true smile. A smile I hadn't gotten the chance to experience after so long. 

"I missed you, Wise Girl."

"Right back at you, Seaweed Brain."

"I wish this moment wouldn't end. It's full of a different kind of happiness I haven't gotten to experience in a while."

Annabeth snorted. "Me too, Seaweed Brain. And thanks for the vision."

"No problem, Annabeth. Also, did you move on and find someone new yet?" I asked with an amused tone.

She blushed. "Well, this might sound weird, but Luke and I..."

My eyes glittered with pride at knowing I was correct. "Ah-ha! I knew it! From the very start when I came to Camp Half-Blood, you always had a dreamy look only summoned by the Luke himself!"