[ 4.04 ] - High School: Gloomy

High School: Gloomy

[ 4.04 ]

R Y E N N E A T S T E L L I

Year 16

A few days passed since I first received news of Fleur, and I hadn't realized how affected I was by it until Xael pointed it out to me.

I was visiting the Alpheus estate at the request of Grandpa Mel. He had called, complaining to me that I didn't visit him enough.

"Whenever I ask Xael about you, he just says you're doing fine, but it's not enough. I must see how you are doing for myself." Was what he told me.

In the background, I could hear Xael lecturing his grandfather, telling him that I was a very busy person—I wasn't. I let out a chuckle as I agreed to Grandpa Mel's request, ending the call after a few exchanges of goodbyes.

When I arrived, Xael was outside to greet me, a sigh seeming to escape his lips every-so-often. I couldn't help laughing as I approached the helpless figure.

"You didn't have to come." He tells me, however I just shook my head, disagreeing. "No, no. I wanted to come. I haven't seen Grandpa Mel in a while and I also wanted to see how the twins are doing."

Xael didn't reply, instead he seemed to be scrutinizing my face. Then, he slightly lifted my face, as though to take a closer look.

I was somewhat flustered, not knowing what to do while I waited for him to say something.

Was there something on my face? I'm sure I didn't see anything before I left.

"As I thought, you should have stayed home."

"Ha? Why?"

He lightly patted my cheeks before releasing me from his hold.

"You look tired." He tells me.

"I do?"

Subconsciously, I pressed my hands against my cheeks.

Was there a lack of color on my face? I thought I looked pretty healthy in the mirror this morning. But then again, I guess I have been sleeping a bit less than usual. Perhaps my eyebags have become darker than before.

"Well, I suppose I've been a bit stressed lately."

"Stressed? About?" He inquired, a dark brow raised as his eyes peered at me with question and concern.

"It's just...about our future."

"..."

"My grandmother recently told me that Fleur will be joining us at the academy."

"Oh..."

Hearing his voice become gloomy, I quickly tried to reassure him. "Don't worry, you don't have to associate with her. I know you don't like her, but as per my grandmother's request and as her only friend, I will be helping her a bit until she gets accustomed to things here."

"You don't seem too happy that she's coming though?"

I was surprised and caught off guard. "Hm? Rather than happy, I'd say I'm more nervous. I haven't met with her in a while. I don't know how she'll react to things here."

"I think she'll be l—"

Before Xael could finish speaking, the grandiose doors of the Alpheus estate burst open, revealing Grandpa Mel who threw an accusing glare at Xael.

"Xael, are you planning on keeping Ryn out in the sun all day?"

A somewhat helpless expression reappeared on Xael's face as he silently sighed for the nth time today, however he didn't say anything to defend himself.

"It's okay, Grandpa Mel. I wanted to chat with Xael for a bit and got distracted." I tell the elderly man.

"Enough chatting with him. You see him so frequently. Come inside and have a chat with your grandfather." His silly and childish actions caused me to giggle as I followed him in.

As we continue onwards, I snuck a glance at Xael to find him rolling his eyes and following behind us, gloominess emanating from his tall figure.

A sudden curiosity came across me. I wonder who he is more disappointed in: His grandfather for always going against his thoughts; Or me who always goes along with his grandfather's wishes despite his pleas?

I wonder what answer he'd give me?

26 March x033

Author's note:
I'm so disappointed.
All I want is to watch the OlympicsIn specific, the men's volleyball Japanese team! T-T
But NO! America said "Only the US teams"
I don't have cable so I can't watch other countries. Wahhhh I wanna cry.
I'm too broke to have cable. Like, $60-$70 a month? You've gotta be joking me.
My hopes and dreams have officially been shattered.
[edit: btw AKMU's latest album has been FIRE!!!!]

Question:
Who would Xael be more disappointed in?

Discord:
https://discord.gg/Qz5XJP2mPc
(link also in bio)

30.7.2021