Chapter 29: Funeral

Start from the beginning

My body tensed and I felt ashamed actually. He sighed "It's been six months, Caroline." I shook my head "I need more time, Will."

"Don't you dare lie to me that six months were not long enough for you?"

I agreed "You're right. Every day is too damn long without him."

"Don't you think it's time for you to come back to him?"

"Not yet."

"Then when?"

"When the time is right. When my heart stops hurting and my mind has stopped overthinking."

He sighed with a lazy smile "The time is never right, Caroline. It's just a lie that we tell ourselves. Do you know who taught me that? He did." My eyes began to blurry but I said with a whisper "Not yet." He huffed as I asked, "Why are you in town?"

"To tell you this myself. Luna Queen died." My eyes widen "She died in the morning. And with the full moon tonight, we'll burn her body. Give her a funeral." My heart dropped to my stomach as tears started falling down my cheeks. But I wipe them and ask "How is he?" He shrugged "He's alive if that's what you ask. He has buried himself in work. Barely sleeps, barely rests. He's punishing himself because he hurt you. He thinks it's all his fault." I scrunched the hem of my sweater in my fist "He doesn't stay in the cabin. I asked him why and he told me because every nook and corner reminds him of you. You truly broke him, Caroline. He wasn't this sad when he left the pack." I barely whisper "Why are you here?"

"He needs you. He needs you bad."

He sighed "I'll be in the car waiting for you. If you're not there in an hour, I'll go back." And he just left without uttering another word.

My mind was blank. Completely blank. My hands trembled. But even though I'm still trying to heal, he needed me, right?

I'm going.

I walked to my room, packed my bags, and went out.

Thankfully, Will was still outside and he smiled at me when he saw me with the bag. He got out of the car and took my bag from me, keeping it in the trunk as he asked "I don't remember you packing lightly last time." I said, "I'm coming for two days only and then I'm leaving again after the funeral." He looked at me disappointedly but still nodded getting back in the car.

X

I held my breath as we reached the pack walls and went inside. I kept reminding myself that I had to keep my feelings aside and only mourn for the Luna. That's what my reason was for coming back.

He parked the car and we got out. He grabbed my back and we began walking in silence through the woods. It was cold and it looked like it will rain storms tonight.

X

We reached Patty and Will's cabin. The door opened and out came Patty wearing pink shorts and a yellow shirt with a sunflower on it. Her pregnant belly was full-on display and she looked like she was about to go into labor any time. She held up her arms and said "Pregnant lady over here! Can't stand for too long. Get your ass here now!" Will chuckled "That's what I deal with every day." She yelled, "I heard you!" He yelled back "You were supposed to!" I ran to her and she took me in her arms and I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that she couldn't fully hug me because of her belly. I felt a push against my stomach and I backup with a shock. She winked "It's a werewolf. It kicks."

"I can see that."

She grabs my hand and leads me inside. I couldn't help myself- couldn't hide my smile at the way she wobbled in like a penguin. I chuckled "You look so adorable." She shook her head "I don't feel adorable." Pointing at Will as he walked in "It's his fault! His! He couldn't keep his hands to himself. And I'm stuck with a pup in my belly, I wobble all day, I sweat all day and crave everything." She looked at me "I could eat you right now with a side of chocolate." I threw my head back laughing at her. Will said, "Oh please, you know you enjoyed every minute of it, baby." He winked at her and she blushed. She huffed "When you mate, be careful. They trick you with good sex to get you pregnant like bunnies." My laughter died as she talked about Jaxon and suddenly the atmosphere became thick. Will cleared his throat "I'll show you to the room." I nodded and kissed Patty on her forehead "Auntie Caroline is dying to meet the pup." She nodded "Auntie Caroline will help Mommy babysit too."