Chapter 2: Fly Me To Maple Town

My blissful sleep was disturbed when my phone began ringing

My blissful sleep was disturbed when my phone began ringing. I picked up the call and said in my sleepy voice" Hello?" It was a man that sounded old on the other side"Hello, I'm calling for Dr. Quinn."

"This is she."

"Ah, hello. I'm calling from Maple General about the at-home psychiatrist job you applied for."

I sat up"Yes, I did months ago but I never got a reply."

"Well, yes, my name is Dr. Ramos, and my team and I would like an interview with you."

"Really?"

"Yes, I'm impressed with your resume. We don't have a home therapist and we think you'll be the perfect fit for it."

"Thank you so much."

"Shall we set up an interview?"

"Yes please."

I grabbed the pen and paper from my nightstand as he said"How about this Monday? Do you think you could fly to Maple Town by then?" I replied"Absolutely."

"Great. Let's set up a meeting on Monday at 10 AM."

"Great. Thank you."

"Yes, I'll be looking forward to meeting you."

"The feeling is mutual. Goodbye."

And he hung up the phone.

I got up from my bed and went straight to my living room, grabbing my laptop, the first thing I did was booked a flight to Maple Town tonight. Well, it was Virginia. Maple Town was a three-hour drive from the airport itself.

I'll just book a car from there.

I took off my pajamas and stepped right into the shower. Waking up no matter what time after the pills made my body sore. I let the warm shower hit the right spot in my scalp and it felt like it was taking all my worries away. I needed this job. It was better money than my current one and a proper safe space for me. Away from him. He was in New York, I saw him months ago and that's why I applied for the job. It's in a small town that approximately has less than 30,000 population. Even better.

And if I did get the job, I can move as soon as possible because I don't have anyone to care for. No family or friends. Just me.

After I was done with the shower, I looked at myself in the mirror as I wrapped my red towel around my body. I swiped my hand on the steam and the first thing I saw were the marks on my chest. Cigarette marks. I sighed and walked out with water dripping down from my blonde locks.

I didn't have any appointments today so I decided to pack early. Had to fly to Maple Town tonight. Even if the interview is three days away, I wouldn't mind looking for some apartments in case if I get it. I'd like to move as soon as possible. As quickly as I can disappear from here.