Chapter 5: Dream A Little Dream Of A Wolf

Start from the beginning

Maybe running will do right now.

I got out of my hotel room and saw the maid in the hallway. I smiled at her and said"I need bedsheet changing. Careful, I sweat a lot." And I passed her a fifty-dollar bill.

I made my way out and the weather was nice. A little on the windy side. It looked like it would rain but I couldn't care less.
As my hotel was facing the forest, I decided to jog on the edge of it with my headphones on. The streets were quiet and no one was around which gave me a lot to think until my phone started ringing. I picked up the phone and heard one loud Patty screaming in my ear"Heyyyyyyy!" I winced and said, "Hi, Patty." She chuckled"Why are you so early?" I replied"Wanted to go for a jog. You?"

"Meditation. It keeps my thoughts calm."

Does this girl need meditation? The girl who's too happy for her own good?

She again said"So? What if in an hour, I come to pick you up and then we go have breakfast in the same diner and then maybe some tour of the town, I'll take you to some awesome places for what the town is famous for and then a hospital tour? Huh!"

She had it all planned out.

Well, I didn't have anything good to do except to be in the hotel room all day, I said"Yeah, okay. I'll just go up and get changed."

"Okay. Don't forget your umbrella, Caroline. It's gonna rain today. For sure."

"Yes, Patty."

She hung up the phone and I hung my headphones around my neck. I stretched my neck, trying to take out the stiff knot, and then I heard something snap.
My head snapped at the forest and I froze for a second as I saw a wolf. It was black and it was bigger than the usual size. It had red eyes. I exhaled a breath I was holding in when I realized it looked like the same wolf in my dreams.
It purred and turned around, walking back in the forest that my gut was strongly advising me to follow and that's what I did. I followed.
I followed the wolf to an opening in the forest as it stood there. Same as my height. It looked down and I followed its gaze on the floor. There was a flower. A moonflower I think. I looked up as it looked back and then at the flower again like it wanted me to take it. It stepped back and I stepped forward as I bent down to pick up the flower and stepped back again.

Looking at me one last time, it turned around and left.

Did a wolf just give me a flower? Was I standing in front of the wolf with so much trust that came from nowhere? This town is making me go mental, isn't it?

I sighed and got out of the forest and went to the hotel, going up to my room.

I changed into a pair of black jeans and a purple knitted sweater. Patty messaged me that said that she was waiting for me outside.

I was about to leave when I again glanced at the flower. I rolled my eyes and took the mug on the table and filled it with water, keeping the flower in the mug and near the window.

What am I doing?

X

Patty stayed true to her word. She took me to places where they make maple syrups because this town was famous for it. And Patty looked interested in syrup too. Her favorite was cinnamon syrup. Which I had no idea that it was a thing.

We had breakfast and then she took me to the mall. We had lunch there and then she took me on more tours.

We were in the car, currently driving to the hospital where I will be having my interview tomorrow. I said"Patty, can I ask you something?" She smiled"You don't need to ask me if you can ask something to me." I smiled at her silly sentence and continued"Have you ever came across a wolf?" She looked at me"What are you talking about?" I shook my head"It's just that... I saw it on my run today. Deep in the forest and it felt weird honestly. To see an actual wolf for the first time. But what's weirder is that I have some patients that come from a background from here. They go back and they tell me in sessions that they've seen wolves in the forest while they hunt. But not normal wolves. Like wolves with glowing eyes or such." She awkwardly laughed"Caroline, you do know that these such people pay us to hear them talk. Some are imaginative as you know that. It's totally common. Maybe your patient is mixing the wolf he saw while hunting into an imaginary story about something. You know?" I nodded because she did have a point.