Part 27 ~ Michael's Little Girl

Start from the beginning

I always loved and adored my daughter, I never wanted her out of my life. . . I was really down during that time. I was struggling with tons of issues that I couldn't handle on my own back then. And my favorite aunt died . . . I guess you could say I was helpless and desperate. . . that was the time I met Denise. . . . . but I'm not gonna open that book again.

I would always fly to Washington every other weekend just to see my little girl. But after a while Nastasia made up excuses why I can't come visit and all that . . . I have never been without Zaira for more than 6 months . . . it's been 6 months that I haven't seen my little girl . . I can't believe she's here in New York and not telling me about it. Why didn't she call or send an email? . . . . and most importantly, is Zaira with her?

I put my phone back on the glass table and brush my hand over my face in frustration. I know I'm not perfect . . . I've done many things that I'm not proud of . . but I can safely say that I always loved my daughter. . . . . and I freakin' love Destiny . . . . I'm keeping my daugther a secret from her . . . for over 4 months now. I don't know why I never told her in the beginning when we first met. . . . I guess I was afraid of losing her.

We had such a rough start to our relationship . . . I never found the perfect time to bring it up . . . . Gosh, I'm such a looser. Like, for real now . . . . We've been together for over 4 months and she doesn't know about Zaira. But I will find the perfect moment . . . I know I will. . . . just not anytime soon. And the worst thing is . . Zaira's birthday is coming up . . I'm pretty much screwed. How will I fly to Washington for a couple of days and not let her know what I'm going there for? I hate having to lie. . I hate it . . . but I guess that's what I get for the things I do. . . or the things I neglect to mention.

After my 15 minute bath, I decide to sit outside on the patio to get some fresh air. My mind is clouded with so many thoughts. I need to get a hold of Nastasia. . . I wanna know why she didn't tell me that she's coming here. . . and I wanna know if she brought Zaira with her . . . but knowing how much she hates me, she probably didn't. And I don't care if she doesn't want me to come visit for Zaira's birthday . . . I will be there.
_______________

~ Destiny's point of view ~

I'm looking at Michael sitting out on the patio. I brought him hot chicken soup but he's not eating it. He seems so distant and weak . . . if there was only something I could do for him . . . something that would make him feel better . . . I will call a doctor and make an appointment for him. Looking at him now, I don't think he will feel much better tomorrow morning. . .

NEXT DAY . . .

I wake up to my phone's loud alarm tone in shock. I sit up and look at Michael next to me. He's fast asleep, sleeping like a baby. . . good he didn't wake up. He needs his sleep. I get up, take a shower and get ready for work. It's raining like crazy today. . . rolling thunder, wind going wild out there . . . not the perfect weather to feel better. . . . I'm in the kitchen now, drinking my favorite vanilla coffee before leaving for work. . . . gosh, that feels good. . . . I'm so not looking forward to work today but you do what you gotta do to earn your living . . . .

I put on my shoes and look for my purse. That's when Michael comes walking down the staircase, fully dressed in black jeans, white shirt, black tie and his leather jacket. . . . what the? . . . huh? . . . what is he doing up? he can't possibly be going to work today!

"Honey, what are you doing?" I ask, taking his face in both hands.

"I'm going to work, Love. . . ."

"No you're not . . . Michael, you're sick! get back in bed!"

"I'm not . . . well, yea . . I'm still a little weak but I'm sure I'm much more energized than yesterday"

"Much more energized than yesterday? honey, you threw up in a plant at the mall yesterday . . I don't think you're feeling much better today . . . you're still sick and your raspy voice tells me the same thing!"

"I'm still a little weak, yes, but I gotta go to work . . . my students need me, I'm needed there"

"Michael, no . . . c'mon . . you can't possibly be going to work today! . . . look at you . . . you're still coughing like crazy . . . c'mon. . . I don't wanna have to worry about you all day at work . . . don't do this to me, babe!"

He grabs my face and kisses me on my forehead. "I love you for caring about my health but I'll be fine, I promise you . . . have a great day, I'll miss you" Michael says, walking out the door. He's gotta be kidding me! . . . He gets in the car, puts on his seatbelt and drives down the driveway . . . alright then. I get my stuff and leave for work as well. All day long I have this weird feeling in my stomach. . . I hope I'm not getting sick . . . we had sex last night for like 10 minutes . . and we kissed, too . . . so . . I wouldn't be surprised if my nose started running by the end of the day.

Work is being a pain . . . and by pain I mean Mrs Stine. Why can't she ever be in a good mood? I'm not in a very good mood myself so I really don't need her frustration to get in my way. . . 'Do this, do that' . . . like, can you ever leave me alone? . . whenever I'm working, it's ME who she's got her eyes focused on. I wanna get this day over with and come home to Michael. I look at the clock. It's 3:20pm . . Michael is at school for another hour . . . but I'm stuck here for another 4 hours. Yaay. . .

But thank god Mrs Connor just came by for her daily coffee and cake. I'm sure she will make my day better. . she always does. "Hi Mrs Connor, I was waiting for you to come, how are you feeling today?" The old, sweet woman takes a seat at her favorite table. "I'm very good today, thank you, Lovely . . and how are you? . . you look so pretty today . . as always"

"Aww . . . you're so sweet, you know that, Mrs Connor?"

"I am? . . . oh dear . . . you're so kind"

"How about a coffee and a caramel cupcake?"

She smiles at me. "You can read my mind, Lovely"

4 and a half hours later I finally get home. I'm actually at my place right now, doing my laundry and some other stuff. I barely spend time at my own apartment anymore. I'm so used to being at Michael's place . . . I turn on the TV to kill the silence in here. I'm sure Michael is home already, fast asleep in his bed. I just know I will come home to Michael either sleeping on the couch or in bed . . . . because he's STILL sick. He's such a baby . . . If I were him, I'd stay home in bed until I'm fully recovered. . . but I guess that's just how he is . . . his dedication for his job is astonishing. I texted him a few minutes ago but he still hasn't replied . . . . he's probably asleep.
______________

~ Michael's point of view ~

I'm at a café in Brooklyn waiting for Shane to come. Shane and I are gonna wait for Nastasia and her sister Carmen to enter this café. They spend almost every night here when Nastasia is visiting New York. This is the only way I can get her to talk to me . . . . I tried calling her earlier today but she declined every single one of my calls. . . when she walks in here I will confront her and ask her why she never called me to let me know that she's flying in. . . She knows I wanna see Zaira . . . . I hope she brought my little girl with her.

Shane just walked in . . . he's joining me for moral support. Shane orders a cappuccino and I'm getting a cup of hot peppermint tea. Because after all, I'm still sick. "What will you say to her?" Shane asks. I look at him with a blank expression. "Not sure yet." Half an hour and two cups of peppermint tea later, Nastasia and her sister Carmen walk into the café . . .

~ to be continued ~