Chapter 20

2021, Rotterdam, Netherlands

"Wow, look at the view, it's amazing! I can't believe we're in Rotterdam, Elle!" Clara looked like an excited puppy, which made Michelle smile.

         The two girls and the whole French staff had just arrived in the Netherlands, and the country looked amazing. The brunette was nervous, she knew she would see Damiano soon, and she was not ready at all.

"It's going to be alright, Elle, don't worry. You probably won't even see him today." The blond girl was probably right, she probably won't even see the Italian singer today, it was only the first day.
"What will happen when I'll see him? I'm not ready to face him, Clara." She was panicking, it was a bad idea to go to Rotterdam, especially when he would be here.
"You'll look straight into his eyes and show him that you're okay even if you're not. Remember: fake it until you make it."

         "Fake it until you make it" it was Clara's motto, and Elle had always tried to follow it, but today it was harder than usual. Damiano had cheated on her, in the flat they shared with their friends, and Michelle had walked straight into it. She had never been the same since that day, she was crying every night because Damiano was the only boy she had ever loved, and he had broken her heart.

         Elle had travelled in wide leg blue jeans, a black top, and an oversized black coat, because they had to go to the Ahoy Arena as soon as they arrived in Rotterdam. Anna was repeating the same thing for the hundred time, she was talking about the big five, and how Italy was France main rival, because both songs were rock'n'roll. The brown-haired had no desire to hear about the Italian delegation, she did not want her manager to remind her that they had already performed on the same stage, she wanted to forget everything that was linked to MÅNESKIN. Anna had made her listen to Damiano singing too many times, trying to find his weak point, Anna was ready to do anything in order to win, but Elle was not. Listening to Zitti e Buoni was a torture, it reminded her of those nights where they stayed up on the rooftop to watch the stars, those nights where Damiano would sing since she could not sleep because of her anxiety. Listening to this song kept breaking her heart, listening to his voice kept breaking her heart.

          When they arrived at the arena, there were some people that wanted photos or autographs, so Michelle put on a smile and did some pictures before walking into the concert hall. It was huge, larger than any hall she had ever sang in, it was very impressive. Clara took her best friend's hand in hers and made her spin, giggling, it was Elle's biggest chance to succeed, to have an international carrier. Clara and Michelle had known each other since they were babies, they had lived everything together, from the first day of school when they were three to the first beer, from the first heartbreak to the brunette's first concert. Now they were here together, in Rotterdam, as Elle's dream was becoming reality, and the blond girl was super proud of her friend.

"Elle, do you realise that in a month, you'll be on stage, here, in front of millions of viewers? Without counting the people that will be on the arena?" The blond-haired French girl looked so proud that it almost made the brown-haired one cry, because without her best friend's support, she would not be here today.
"I love you, Clara, I hope that you know it, I don't know what I'd do without you."
"You'd be just fine, you're here because of you, and only you. I'm so proud, Elle."

         The two girls were still holding each other closely when someone called the brunette, their moment was over, they were sent back to reality. Still holding each other's hand, they followed Anna and the rest of the French team across the hall, looking like the two little girls that discovered Disneyland together. They met a lot of people, everyone was impressed of the others, it was quite funny, every artist would be in competition in a few weeks but for now, they were all getting to know everyone.