61

"Check the oxygen level"

Chaeyoung instructs carefully as she tries to contain her emotion. Suzy nods as she yells normal to the blonde back in no time. 

"You'll be fine" Chaeyoung says under her breath as she squeezes her wife's hand. "I'll make sure you're fine"

"Chaeyoung, the defibrillator is ready"

"Fine. You'll increase the voltage when I say so"

"It's gonna hurt a little, baby" the cardiologist says as she presses the device to Lisa's chest. The Thai's body jolts forward but there's still no changes on the ECG monitor. 

"Increase the volt" Chaeyoung yells. Her voice is covered in panic as she presses the device against Lisa's chest again but to no avail. 

"No, baby" she starts to cry. "You're not going away from me this time" she mumbles before instructing for Suzy to increase the volt again. 

One final presses and Chaeyoung almost falls to her feet with tears down her cheeks when she hears the heartbeat again.

Slow but it's there. 

***

Lisa wakes up a few hours later to a great discomfort to her chest. Sobbing a little, she starts to move on the bed, trying her best to distract her mind from the fucking pain that's burning her whole body when the door is cracked opened, revealing Chaeyoung and a bag of food. 

"Baby?" she utters in shocked as she sees Lisa opening her eyes. 

"Oh my god, you're awake" she cries as she drops the bag of food on the floor; making a mental note to pick them back later. 

"Jagi?" Lisa mumbles softly and Chaeyoung cries as she squeezes Lisa's hand. 

"Jagi, you're here" the Thai smiles and Chaeyoung cries. 

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"About the threats" she mentions and Lisa shuts her eyes. Fuck Lili, she says. 

"She told me about that" the blonde says. "And why didn't you tell me, Lisa?"

"I didn't want to" the attorney says after a while, her eyes clinging to Chaeyoung. 

"You know how much I love you, Chaeng" Lisa adds as she starts to cry. Next to her, the cardiologist grabs her hand and brings it to her lips, kissing it tenderly with tears glistening her eyes. 

"I can't help it. I need to protect you, Chaeng. That's why I did that. I can't imagine my life without you"

"And do you have the faintest idea how shitty my life had been these past few weeks?" Chaeyoung sobs. "I had to tell myself to move on when all my heart did was telling me that you were still out there"

"Chaeng..."

"And you'll never believe all those hours I spent crying over you, wishing when I woke up in the morning, I'll have your arms around my waist again and my face against you chest; eavesdropping your heartbeat"

"I'm sorry"

"I love you, Lisa. I really love you"

"I love you too" Lisa cries. "Don't go, Chaeng. I've been stupid"

"I won't go" Chaeyoung assures her. "As long as you promise me, you won't do this stupid thing again. I'm not ready to be left all alone again"

"I thought you don't do crying?" Lili lifts her eyebrows in the most mocking way as she walks into the room with the rest. 

Lisa quickly wipes her tears away, frowning as she glares at her little sister. 

"Oh, shut up you stupid"

"Hello, Lisa" Roseanne smiles brightly at Lisa.  "I hope you still remember me"

"I do" Lisa smiles. "You're my idiot sister's wife"

"I'm not stupid" Lili warns, ready to throw hands when Roseanne wraps an arm around the lawyer's neck. "Yes, you are baby. You're my idiot"

"Can ..." Lisa clears her throat. "Can I talk to Lili alone?"

The rest of them look at each other before nodding their heads. Jennie walks out with Roseanne, talking about how much she adores the lanky New Yorker's pink hair while Jisoo is taking Chaeyoung with the bag of food the blonde brought earlier to the nearest coffee cart to eat and drink.

"I guess you wanna say thank you"

Lili crosses her arms together. 

"In your fucking dream, Lili" Lisa rolls her eyes. 

"You're welcome"

"I don't thank you yet"

"You just did. Your language, I'd rate them poor but I understand them anyway"

"I hate you"

"Lisa, the world knows I hate you more"

"No, I feel like I hate you more. I fucking hate you for bringing my wife here"

"Oh, you were eyefucking her, Lisa" Lili rolls her eyes. "You think I'm blind?"

"SHUT UP"

"You scared the shit outta me" Lili says after a while. "Just now"

"Well, I was scared too" Lisa admits. "I thought the last thing I'd say to you was our argument a few days ago"

"Yeah..."

"So...."

"I don't know how apology works" Lisa stares at her little sister. 

"Me either..."

"Maybe we can go for a coffee and talk about the recent murder case I heard in West Coast later, once I get out of this hell, ... you know ... to loosen things up"

Lili nods with a frown. "I'd like that very much"

••••••••