Chapter Eight: The Outbreak (Luke's POV)

News of zombie-like figures was circulating round the country like wildfire. Turns out we're wanted for 'kidnapping and illegally testing on poor innocent girls in the woods' and we had bounties on our heads. It just hurt knowing I started this and I hurt Thalia and the nation believed I did it on purpose. I love her. She was like my little sister. She'd left me a note on the car door and I was treasuring it like the only thing in the world that mattered.

"Hey Luke!
Reyna and I had a bad feeling about this so we decided to leave back to camp. I'm leaving this here so you don't panic and I'll see you soon.
Love, Thalia."

It was the only part of her I had left and I would never let it go.

The sun was now dipping to the west and we still hadn't got a plan.
"We need somewhere to park where no one can find us and we should sleep in the car. We have blankets but I can turn the engine on if it gets too cold."
I spoke, breaking the silence that had lasted most the day. Zoë was still in silent shock and she was cuddling up to Percy who had been comforting her since the attack. She was the only one that had seen them up close and it must have been pretty scary to look at.
We had been trying to keep the radio on for updated on where the best place was to be but we (meaning I) had slammed the off button multiple times to the point we just gave up.
"Good plan." Ethan replied. "Let's find a secluded part of the mountain where we can see everything but no one can see us."
"Ok, we need gas first though."
"One problem. We're wanted and everyone knows our faces." Percy stated.
"We can pay from the gas pump and get out of there as quick as possible. They might know our vehicle if anyone picks up on it, but we need gas dont we. Volunteers?" Ethan asked. Zoë nodded as I pulled up to the gas station.
"Zoë you sure? You're still a littl-"  Percy began to say but Zoë just nodded and got out.