Chapter Ten: Zombie Fight (Percy's POV)

Zoë closed her eyes and let her head drop into my feet, looking peaceful as always. I couldn't sleep. I was too busy thinking about all of this, trying to analyse it bit by bit. And then over evaluating my feelings for Zoë. Were they real? Did she share them? It was it all just fake, a figment of imagination. And then the strange sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen and I didn't know what. We had one hunting rifle but that was it and we were pretty much defenceless.

My head hit the chair with a thud.
"Oww... what the hell are you doing?" Luke was driving maniacally, swerving round trees and bumping over rocks.
"What do you mean what am I doing can't you see the zombies!?" I did in fact, after wiping my eyes a little.
"Ohhh shit."
"Yeah. Have you got anything to get rid of them with?"
"That hunting rifle." I picked it up trying to figure it out. I opened the window firing blindly into the night. My eyes adjusted a little and I could see where I was aiming. There was so many of them, once animals and humans alike. By the way, the whole headshot thing is bullshit, all you had to do was shoot the body out of moving condition and it would twitch and fall to a stop. That meant the virus was probably a parasite and it needed a functioning body to work. If it was a parasite... was there a chance you could remove it? I tossed that thought aside as the car lurched to the side and I went with it, Zoë falling into my leg.
"Ugh my poor brain, you just killed it's last cell." She murmured and got up to sit beside me.

We were now parked on a narrow road overlooking the city below at the edge of a cliff. I grabbed some water and passed it to Zoë.
"Might want to drink some of this, it could revive your braincell." We shared a shallow laugh as she sipped it, looking a little pale. I could've sworn she was crying a little, and to be honest I couldn't blame her.
"Hey... if you need to talk or anything, I'm here, we're in this together." She flung herself into my arms collapsing as I tried my best to comfort her.
"I've got you... I'm here." I spoke softly. She closed her eyes and I rested my hand on her temple, whispering to her.
"Goodnight Zoë." I picked up a blanket, wrapping it round her. I might have given her a kiss on the head right then and there if it wasn't for the loud tearing noise and the feeling of the cold night air rushing me as a fell through it.