Fifty-Three

Jungkook was working in his home office when he heard a soft knock on the door. The sound of the gentle knock tells him it's one of his kids. "Come in," he calls to them.

When Sunghee opened the door and entered, a smile appeared on his face. "Are you busy, Daddy?"

He shook his head and waved for his daughter to come over to him, "I'm never too busy for you. What's wrong? Why are you visiting me in my office today?" It was rare for his children to bother him when he was locked in his office since they knew that he was working on something important if he was in there.

Sunghee ran over to Jungkook, who picked her up, sat her on his leg, and pulled away from his desk. "Appa said you were sad that I was going away for the summer."

Jungkook sighed, "why would Appa tell you that? That was supposed to be a secret."

She glared at him with a frown while playing with his wedding band, "why a secret, you don't want me to know that you are sad that I am leaving?"

"No, that's not it. The last thing I want is for you to focus on me when you are supposed to have fun." Jungkook said with a smile.

"But I'm always worried about you, Daddy."

"You do? Why?"

While looking down at his hand, Sunghee shrugged, "It's just because."

Jungkook stared at her, curious, "what do you mean by just because? Would you please tell me? Why do you worry about me? Do you worry about Appa too?"

"No, I don't worry about Appa," she said, shaking her head. "I think if I spend too much time with my other father, you might forget about me."

Jungkook's eyes widened, "baby, don't say that. I would never ever forget you-"

"When I am with my other dad, why don't you call me? Appa is the only one to call me constantly when I am there, and I only speak to you when I ask Appa to make me talk to you or if I call."

Taking his hand, Jungkook embraced Sunghee closer to his chest. He had no idea she had been thinking like this, though he had his reasons for never calling when she was away, he didn't want her to think he didn't care.

"I am sorry, I will change that this time. I just don't want to bother you when you are away with your father, especially when you don't get to see him often."

"You are not bothering me because you are my dad too. He knows this too. My father always tells me to call you and Appa when I am there, so you don't have to worry about me."

Hearing this surprised Jungkook, "Jaehyun tells you to call me?"

Sunghee nods her head, "he says never to make you worry and always to be nice to you because you and Appa are the ones who take care of me when he is not there."

"Wow, that's a very nice thing for him to say."

"I know, my dad is always nice to me. I am reminded of you when I am with him."

Jungkook hugged her tightly, kissing her forehead, "I am happy to hear that. Before you leave, I'll get you a phone so that you and I are both able to call each other whenever we like. I miss you when you are not here; the house isn't the same without you, but I know you have to see your dad as well."

"I am happy that you miss me too; I don't ever want you not to miss me, even though Appa said that couldn't happen."

Laughing, Jungkook said, "your Appa is right, you are my first child, and I think of you all the time, even when you are at school or camp. I always wonder, how is Sunghee? What did she eat? Is her asthma inhaler with her? You know I can never replace you, don't you? Sunghee, I want you to know you are so important to me, your Appa, and even Jaehyun. Without you, so many things in our lives would be different, so I am thankful everyday for you."